Called the butcher

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ozark_chickies, Sep 22, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I called the butcher of our local slaughter house, and ordered some beef fat to feed my birds over the winter. I plan on pounding bird seed or scratch into it and hanging it in the hen house to give them something to peck at on days they don't go out. I will also give them cabbage and lettus, I can get discout at Kroger. This will not replace thier regular food, but be offered on bad days to help them fight boredom. Does anyone else offer suet in the winter? I could also get pork fat (cheaper than the suet), but don't really want to give them pork. Any thoughts on feeding chickens pork?

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    My dogs like that more than my birds but i free range so mabe if they were caged they would like it more.

3. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Mine are free ranged too, but there will probably be a week or two this winter when they won't get out. I've never given suet to chickens, but the wild birds love suet and seeds , when the ground is covered in snow. So I thought I would give it a try with my chickens.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Wow [​IMG] I like the veggie idea but I do not understand the fat thing? Are you fattening them up for colder weather? or is it a treat? I know you said to keep em busy but ... Why beef fat I guess I am asking?

Steve

5. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:The fat should help them stand the cold, but you can pound or beat lots of bird seed into it, and the fat will hold the seed. The birds will have to work to get them out. It will give them something to do, and a treat. Have you ever seen the suet balls they sell for wild birds? Kind of the same thing only homemade. The wild birds are crazy about them, so I thought the chickens might like them too. This will not replace thier layer pellets, just give them a little extra fat for winter and something to do when snow is on the ground.

6. AngelaClassAct

AngelaClassAct Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Make flock blocks for them! I've already started stock-piling them for the winter months, loading up my freezer.

7. justmeinflorida

justmeinflorida Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Zephyrhills, Florida
    Quote:What are flock blocks and how do you make them?

8. HappyRoo

HappyRoo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Grafton Ohio
    Yes I want to Know also!

9. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    you could make them a giant seed block.

2cups scratch to 1 egg white.

Multiply to make it as big as you like and bake it till hard!

It will entertain for hours!

You could also cover pine cones in peanut butter and scratch, and hang those up.

10. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by