1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

called the cops on my neighbor last night....let the nightmare begin..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mrs. Turbo, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Well, I don’t have the best neighbors in the world. The wife is really nice and I like their kids, but the dad is a real piece of work. She tells all their business like how they forged documents to get their house loan and her husband is currently under investigation for murdering his ex-girlfriend…..great. This guy has also been arrested several times.
    So….I was in the house and heard a loud gunshot. This guy likes to fire his gun off his back deck and down to the woods. Our house is about 500 ft from the neighbors house and our properties are set up more like rectangles…a long piece of land. Starts at the road then comes the house, pasture then the woods. I look outside to see where my 13 year old is and he is down range on our property watering the birds. This is not the first time this guy has fired a high power rifle off his back deck when my kids are downrange. My 5 year old daughter was at the fence last time. When I walked to the fence and asked him nicely to call me next time he decides to shoot off his deck so I can get my kids out of the line of fire. This isn’t a “I hate my neighbor” deal, this is a safety issue. From what the state police said he is allowed to shoot any where he wants on his property. The KY law over protects gun owners. We own guns too so that is not the issue. The state police have to actually see him shooting his gun off his deck with my kids in the back yard!!! Next time I might have to call the ambulance with the state police and that is not cool. We did file charges with the attorneys office today for endangerment, but we will see what happens. I am just so sick over this! I hate living here. I know this guy shot my dog last year, but can’t prove it. Guess I will be calling the cops every single time the guy shoots off his deck until something is done.

2. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    You do what you have to do. You dont strike me as an adversarial person, just looking after your kids.

My suggestion would be to set up a trail cam or live feed cam (as discussed here on the forum) and have video proof of him shooting in unsafe conditions. The downside of this is that your kids will be in the way and subject to harm. But, the reality is - that this will happen regardless of whether or not you have a cam running.......better to err on the side of caution and have it recorded. It's going to happen regardless, better off being prepared and able to document it.

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

If he's being investigated you'd think he'd have sense enough not to give the DA any more ammo to drag up at a trial.

Just keep calling in every single time... if they have to see it then that's really your only choice... sucks that your kiddos will be in dangers, sucks that the police's hands are tied... but eventually they'll get there in time and toss him in the pokey.

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I'm sorry for your troubles. I know how frustrating things like this can be. Don't get your hopes up for prosecution; that will probably never happen because it would be really hard to get a conviction. Hopefully they will move...

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Ugh what an ugly situation to be in. we had an issue last year with a neighbor that would get drunk climb the fence and ride our horses. the first two times he got on Digger and was fine, the last time he got on Sailor who took two steps and pitched him back over the fence and into a pile of concrete blocks. he called threating to sue once he sobered up he realized this was a bad idea. this year the idot put his deer stand on our very well marked property [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    good grief what a moron! Im sorry you have to deal with that idiot. Id be going ballistic if my kids were around him like that-and with a gun [​IMG] Im so sorry I hope the cops get sick of you calling and do something big about it!

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Exactly!! [​IMG]

8. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Game cam is a good idea. Also look at getting a 24 hour security cam.
    You did the right thing by asking him to let you know for safety reasons, but he has proven that he does not care about safety.

Muddyhorse do what a guy I know did, cut the tree down. If it is removable looks like you got yourself a tree stand.

9. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    That sucks. It sucks that the law allows that to happen.

10. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Can it really be possible that someone who is already known to the police and under investigation for murder is allowed to keep a gun even after a complaint such as this? I guess so but it defies all reason. Their are two sides to every story but I can't see any justification for the situation that the OP describes.

Two sad facts are that the world is riddled with nut cases and that some countries are liberal with their gun laws. Put the them together and innocent people get killed or maimed. A murder or manslaughter charge is too late for the victims and their families. Either the police aren't doing their job in this case or the law is wrong. Whichever, I suspect that a series of complaints to the police would be less likely to result in his arrest and more likely to result in the police to tell the OP to stop calling.

Would a call to the news media or a politician produce a result? The danger of that might be that the idiot goes berserk with his gun, I suppose. Perhaps a first step would be to seek a meeting with a senior police office to establish whether the present law allows for any action. If that fails, surely people living near to this fool need to mount a public campaign about the law using this guy as an example of why better controls are needed.

I know about the debate in the US on gun laws and how the laws vary from State to State but this incident has nothing to do with the man protecting his life and property.

Mrs. Turbo, I hope you get this resolved soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by