Calling all baby chicks experts. I NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessica1982, Mar 11, 2014.

1. jessica1982

jessica1982 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    I swear this batch of babies is going to be the death of me! This chick is 4 weeks old, and is a dwarf compared to the others. 2 days ago I noticed she had pasty butt again. And her bottom is swollen. I've been keeping it cleaned but I'm worried about what is causing all that swelling. Let me give you a run down of the last 4 weeks:

Received them late from post office and lost 12 the first 3 days.

They ended up with cocci somehow and yes they were vaccinated.

Moved the remaining 25 chicks into a 4x8 pen with everything being kept clean and given Corid.

They received Corid for 3 days, and my sickest one received it for 4. (Yes I now know it should of been 5 days)

After the Corid they got greek yogurt and scrambled eggs.

They got sick again and are now getting sulfadimethoxime and yesterday was their first dose.

I feed them Texas Naturals chick starter, non soy, non gmo

They have 2 lights and I check and clean their food and water containers constantly.

2. jessica1982

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see she's teeny tiny. And 4 weeks old.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you give the correct dose of Corid? 1.5 teaspoons powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons liquid per gallon?o
    -Kathy

4. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    Sulmet is much harder on birds than Corid is. I would check your dose of Corid to be sure it is correct and continue with that for a few more days.

What are your symptoms? Are you sure you are dealing with cocci?

Trish

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you have the liquid Corid you could give it as an oral drench. Dose is .2ml per 2.2 pounds, but i Usually gibe a small chick one very small drop.

-Kathy

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is giving them sulfadimethoxine, not Sulmet which is sulfamethazine. She was advised on BYC to switch to this after her chicks were not responding to the Corid after 3 days. She had been using liquid Corid, and had mixed it 2 tsp per gallon according to her other thread. Jessica, your little one may be suffering from a slight prolapsed vent. It may be weakened from the cocci and the prolapse could be from straining or a natural inclination from birth.

7. jessica1982

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    Actually no I'm not 100% sure what it is to be honest. I posted on here and emailed someone else and no one responded. So I called a lady who breeds chickens locally who told me what it probably was, and that I should cull the sick. She recommended Corid. Yes I was giving them 2 teaspoons per gallon, New fresh gallon each day. The replies I did get on here said no Corid because they had been vaccinated for cocci it wasn't going to work anyway. To use the sulfadimethoxine instead. Here is a picture of my Corid and the Sulfa. As well as my sickest Maran. Her head looks twisted.

Their symptoms were curled feet, walking on their ankles. 2 have held their heads funny and topple over when they look up. Lethargic. No blood in their poop. They are all eating and drinking. My sickest one is perfectly fine now after the Corid. The couple that are sick had no symptoms until after the Corid. Since the Corid their legs are fine. They are just lethargic. And the Maran has her head all funny, in this picture she's standing up on her feet and looking at me. And of course teeny tiny who isn't growing at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jessica1982

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    Ok. so is there anything i can do for her?

9. Avalongirl83

Avalongirl83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    I have read quite a bit that chickens are really succeptable to toxins in the air that can be from living in conditions with not enough airflow. Looks like your babies are sealed up pretty tight. I don't think this is causing all of your problems, but it may be contributing to it?? Hopefully more folks here can help.

10. Avalongirl83

Avalongirl83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Also, that one there with the head looking funny, that looks like something my babe has been doing. Look for the post "Baby Chick severe illness less than a week old" to see if her symptoms match. Maybe we can compare notes on that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by