calling all bakers - buttermilk in bread recipe ?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Mar 18, 2011.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    remember newbie bread maker here [​IMG]

I've got the bread machine down for a white bread recipe that suits us (we love it), and I change up the herbs & such every day. So far we're not fans of whole wheat, but that's ok.

I have some excess buttermilk today and was thinking of trying it in the mix, but am wondering if I should just substitute it for the milk in equal ammounts, or is there a ratio I should follow? This is store bought buttermilk.

THANKS!

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    You want to keep your liquid measure the same...so if you normally use 1 cup of milk then you would replace it with 1 cup of buttermilk. The extra acid in the buttermilk will give your yeast a boost. Yeast loves acid.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    thanks Betty I was hoping you were on! so should I use less yeast? my loves are already really high.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    my bread recipe doesn't call for milk but for water---I use whey instead of the water part of the time--it is always the same amount---calls for 2 cups water so I use 2 cups whey

I have used buttermilk for milk in other recipes and been just fine with it.

I am sure it would be great!

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    thanks! off to make bread [​IMG]

6. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I use buttermilk in my homemade naan and pizza dough recipes when I have the buttermilk handy - it's very good. Betty is right, the yeast LOVES the acid in buttermilk.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I know! I used it in your naan recipe (that's why i have some extra lol). the dough came out really silky, it was great.

8. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:If you think you need a touch less yeast then cut back a pinch, but I wouldn't cut back too much unless you would like to extend your rising time. I always mix my bread and let it sit a couple of hours before I knead it. That hydrates the flour, gives your gluten a leg up on development and gives you a little extra flavor...but unless you are making whole wheat it's really not all that necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by