1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

calling all breed experts!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shellybean40, May 7, 2011.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Okay, I posted pics of my discount chicks from TSC and everyone thinks they are leghorns, or Tetra Tints, which I am fine with! However, all pics I see of those breeds the legs and shanks are yellow. Mine yellow puffballs have pinkish feet and shanks. Buff Orps?

2. ChickenThug

ChickenThug Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Mabelvale Arkansas
    It could be a possibility. I've looked at some online but haven't ever had any. [​IMG] So I know it ain't much help but. As I would always say "GOOGLE IT!" Hope you find out soon.

3. shellybean40

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Thanks, time will tell, right? I really don't care either way. 9 chicks for 50 cents a piece is a bargain. A win win. IF leghorn, then LOTS Of eggs to eat and sell. IF Buff Orp, then sweet girls, good eggs, and eventually yummy chicken and dumplings. So whichever is great. I feel so blessed!!

4. Mehpenn

Mehpenn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Gastonia, NC
    Chicken and Dumplings? Really? [​IMG]

And here I've already told DH to get that idea OUT of his head.... [​IMG]

I guess I'm just too much of a softie. I figure once it's got a name, it'll be too tough eat, kind of chewie and have a bad flavor. [​IMG]

5. shellybean40

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    WE live in a neighborhood and if I want to continue to get eggs, we have to replace layers so I always have chickens at peak laying age. So we made the difficult decision to butcher those who have slowed, probably after a couple of years. I am not really looking forward to it, but that is what we decided. I just don't have the space to keep chickens past their laying prime.

Last edited: May 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by