1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calling all chick psycotherapists - Mr. Meanie needs help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kodiakchicken, May 1, 2008.

1. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    After 24 hours in solitary confinement we took Mr. Meanie out last night. My DH held him for awhile (he loves human contact but does peck our fingers). I finally grabbed a couple of the other chicks, including the Miss Peeps, the buff O who's eyes he pecked till they were bruised, and let them run around with him. He lasted all of about a minute before he went after Miss Peeps eyes! :thun

So, back into solitary he went. I have a mirror in there with him and noticed he spends most of his time hanging out near there, sometimes just constantly pecking at his reflection in the mirror. I took the mirror out, thinking this was encouraging his pecking habit, and he started trying to fly to the top of the brooder. Over and over again and then he (or she - I really don't know) would hit the wire on top and fall down. So, I finally put the mirror back and he went back to pecking at his image, happy as could be.

Anyone have any ideas or know a chick therapist that could help???? [​IMG] Maybe I'm just being impatient?

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no answers for this one. I'd probably give a chick like that away, if anyone would accept that kind of agressiveness in a bird. Full disclosure would be absolutely necessary. I wouldn't cull it, but I wouldn't keep it either. I just have WAY too much going on to worry about a chick like that.

3. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    Sounds like He is going to need solitary for a while:(

4. kodiakchicken

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I guess I'm wondering if the behaviour will change as they get older. They are all probably less than a week old right now, and keeping him in his own brooder isn't a problem, although I feel sorry for him, even if he is a meanie. Do they tend to mellow as they get older?

I doubt I could give him away. The woman I'm chick sitting the other five for would have to keep him separate as well. Not a lot of people have chickens in Kodiak.

5. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    They DO NOT outgrow this but get meaner as they get bigger able to inflict more injury. We NEVER tolerate mean birds... we take them immediately back to where we got them and get a new one and we have the nicest sweetest flock of big girls and chicks. Do NOT negotiate with terrorists!

6. kodiakchicken

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Darn. I got him from a hatchery in Wasilla and I'd have to fly him back to trade him/her in.

Guess we'll start looking for a home for him/her. This brings my little flock down from 6 to 4. One of ours died on the trip here and now this one. I can't house 15 more (min order from our hatchery) so I'm not sure what I'm going to do to bring the size back up to the 5-6 I want. Being on an island in Alaska, we can't get overnight service from anywhere outside Alaska, so I doubt any of the other places would ship us a small order.

Darn it! Darn it! Darn it![​IMG]

7. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Did you order straight run or pullets? Maybe one will turn out to be a roo and you can hatch your own eggs? Or maybe someone in your area who has chickens might have an extra chick or two? I know, stabs in the dark, but much better than keeping an agressive bird. It is always seems to me a genetic fault in the wiring, almost like a record that skips over and over. They just can't help pecking and nothing stops em from doing it. Sorry!!

8. kodiakchicken

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    They are all supposed to be pullets, although several people have said this behavior sounds more like a roo. I don't know though, we'll see.

If he does turn out to be a roo, will he beat up on the hens or will his interests turn more amorous?

I'm just going to keep trying, but with the continuous pecking on the mirror I'd say there is some faulty wiring there. He just can't help himself. And something about the yellow chicks makes them a target. I let the dogs nose him a little, and he only pecked a little, but when I put him next to the cat (who is an orange tabby) he pecked the cat's nose right away several times. Maybe I should put a yellow towel in there and let him wear himself out pecking like mad!

9. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, those are my thoughts, as well. [​IMG]

On a good note, there is a wonderful breeder in AK named Becky Hammond. Here's her site:

http://www.whitefireweedfarm.com/poultry.html

She definitely ships and has excellent stock. You can get started birds in small numbers. Why don't you give her a try? Good luck!

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    have you tried using a red brooder light?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by