Calling all chicken lovers need some advice on a starter incubator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steelersfan43, Jan 24, 2010.

1. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    I would really like to start hatching eggs at some point, but since I will just be starting out and not quite sure how it will work out with the space we have, and quite honestly my husband might get a little carried away if I don't watch him [​IMG] I just would like some advice on what is a good incubator that isnt too expensive. I understand to get a really good quality, I will eventually need to look into a better one, but I really want an inexpensive smaller incubator. What are your thoughts?? Appreciate the help!! [​IMG]

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
  3. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have the 1588 Genesis and I like it. I forget what it cost, I think around $120. I got a good deal on ebay.

Catherine

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I got a Hova Bator and a Little Giant turner. I've been hatching for 10 months almost nonstop. It has been great, and was $50 ish for the bator. I got the turner about 5 months later for $50. So total of about $100 and have had no problems thus far with a few hundred of babies to show for it [​IMG] I have made the investment back selling chicks.

5. steelersfan43

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    farmin'chick :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/chicken-coop-incubator.html Here is a link on very decent homemade incubators...why not try that to start? Less than 20 bucks for some depending on how many parts you scrounge.

Thank you. We also homeschool our kids so I was thinking about trying the fish tank one. That would be an interesting science project.​

6. steelersfan43

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    Quote:Do you know which model you got? Is it really a whole lot more work to use it without using a turner? My husband made it sound like I would have to be in there 20 times (exaggerating) a day turning them by hand.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My starter bator is a Genesis 1588.

If I had it to do over, I would have started with the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance Ex. I own it now and it makes incubating so much easier.

8. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Quote:Do you know which model you got? Is it really a whole lot more work to use it without using a turner? My husband made it sound like I would have to be in there 20 times (exaggerating) a day turning them by hand.

I like turning the eggs by hand--I do it three times a day, and I feel it gives me a connection to them.

However, I have more eggs in the incubator than I ever did before, and it is just too many to turn by hand. For one thing, I don't like the incubator to be open that long.

So I put the automatic turner in and it just does it. It makes it a bit hard to add water though.

As a sort of side issue, while I had the eggs out to put the turner in and then put the eggs back in on the turner, I managed to fall out of my chair. Sheesh. It took me almost an hour to get off the floor. [​IMG]

I couldn't reach my husband to help me. Talk about humiliating. So if you put in an automatic turner, be careful, and don't fall on the floor![​IMG]

Catherine

9. steelersfan43

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN

I like turning the eggs by hand--I do it three times a day, and I feel it gives me a connection to them.

However, I have more eggs in the incubator than I ever did before, and it is just too many to turn by hand. For one thing, I don't like the incubator to be open that long.

So I put the automatic turner in and it just does it. It makes it a bit hard to add water though.

As a sort of side issue, while I had the eggs out to put the turner in and then put the eggs back in on the turner, I managed to fall out of my chair. Sheesh. It took me almost an hour to get off the floor. [​IMG]

I couldn't reach my husband to help me. Talk about humiliating. So if you put in an automatic turner, be careful, and don't fall on the floor![​IMG]

Catherine

uh oh, hope you werent hurt too bad.

10. chickluver:D

chickluver:D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    maryland
    u can try hova bators there grrrreat! i have eggs in there now! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by