calling all Crele breeders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickendales, Oct 17, 2011.

1. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Is he gold laced based?

3. Svarthona

Svarthona Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    I've probably been staring at way too many barred birds which could have mottling or not, but his tail and wings look like they are mottled.
    Maybe that's why the crest is much lighter than the neck area...
    Hmm shouldn't the neck and saddle be lighter than the shoulders in crele?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Barred birds with mottling? That's pretty rare.

He doesn't have mottling, just a white crest and excess white in the wings and tail. He's not a true Crele, so, he does look different from a normal one. I'm betting he's based either Gold Laced or some sort of mix from Gold Laced. I've seen Crele projects that are laced and barred, leaky and barred, pure brown and barred, etc.

5. Svarthona

Oct 4, 2009
    Quote:Not in my garden [​IMG] White feathers or white feather tips on the parts with otherwise faint barring, like tail and wings, are usually a good hint that there's some mottles hiding between the bars.

He just looked like a project crele bird and sometimes projects have their surprises. The Aloha project birds come to mind, mottling (intended) and barring (by accident).

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    White in just the tail or wings isn't barring though. Even if it is tips, it sounds to me like excess white. Happens a lot with any Wheaten or Duckwing based bird.

Do you have pics? I would indeed love to see a true mottled barred bird though.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Svarthöna :

Quote:Not in my garden [​IMG] White feathers or white feather tips on the parts with otherwise faint barring, like tail and wings, are usually a good hint that there's some mottles hiding between the bars.

He just looked like a project crele bird and sometimes projects have their surprises. The Aloha project birds come to mind, mottling (intended) and barring (by accident).

Barring on Extended Black will make a bird look like it carries both Mottling and Barring.

I don't remember the "Aloha Project" birds ever having Barring added to them. I know the base breeding was of a Exchequer Leghorn and a Speckled Sussex.

Chris​

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  8. Svarthona

Oct 4, 2009
    Mine are mostly E and ER (any accidental wheatens usually become dinner). My B/b rooster is carrying mottling and throws occasional barred+mottled chicks (usually bad mottling on smudgy cuckoo with lots of melanizers to be honest). I didn't realize that combination for quite a while, because the mottling is so hard to see on the barring. But it's obvious on his not barred chicks with a mottled hen and on the non-barred mottled girls he's throwing with other barred hens, which have to be mottled or at least carry mottling. I'm slowly figuring out who carries what and I really need to take non blurry pictures of more birds. But I'm not too skilled with the camera [​IMG] and then there's also the bad molting uglyness of Oktober [​IMG] so better pictures can take a while. So far it's just some mediocre pictures I have uploaded.
    [​IMG] B/- mo/mo, the only clear mottle is hiding on the wing, the pic is from last summer when she was 1 year old, now she shows some more mottling.
    [​IMG] B/b mo/mo, shoulder and wing feathers have mottle shaped tips. I really hope this dark legged guy is growing out nicely, so far he's promising.
    [​IMG] A B/b mottled blue wheaten dinner from ´09, which had also other kinds of unexpected mottled surprises under its feathers. Mottles are again on the wings and tail, bad angle I know, but you can still see some at the tail base.
    I'll PM you when I have more/better pictures [​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Svarthöna :

Mine are mostly E and ER (any accidental wheatens usually become dinner). My B/b rooster is carrying mottling and throws occasional barred+mottled chicks (usually bad mottling on smudgy cuckoo with lots of melanizers to be honest). I didn't realize that combination for quite a while, because the mottling is so hard to see on the barring. But it's obvious on his not barred chicks with a mottled hen and on the non-barred mottled girls he's throwing with other barred hens, which have to be mottled or at least carry mottling. I'm slowly figuring out who carries what and I really need to take non blurry pictures of more birds. But I'm not too skilled with the camera [​IMG] and then there's also the bad molting uglyness of Oktober [​IMG] so better pictures can take a while. So far it's just some mediocre pictures I have uploaded.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/42342_cleo2.jpg B/- mo/mo, the only clear mottle is hiding on the wing, the pic is from last summer when she was 1 year old, now she shows some more mottling.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/42342_bmomo.jpg B/b mo/mo, shoulder and wing feathers have mottle shaped tips. I really hope this dark legged guy is growing out nicely, so far he's promising.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/42342_imgp1661.jpg A B/b mottled blue wheaten dinner from ´09, which had also other kinds of unexpected mottled surprises under its feathers. Mottles are again on the wings and tail, bad angle I know, but you can still see some at the tail base.
    I'll PM you when I have more/better pictures [​IMG]

I don't see Mottling, what I see is incomplete Barring.

Chris​

10. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the white come from white crested birds that where used to make this color
    yes gold lace is used to make them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by