Calling all dairy goat owners!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickenToes, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I would like to get a dairy goat or two. Instead of just flying by the seat of my pants like I normally do, I want to do plenty of research before I buy goats.

So, what I need from you guys is some book or web site suggestions. I thought about Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats, but I've heard a bit of negative feedback about the book. Should I just order it anyway, or is there something better? I'm open to all suggestions and recommendations!

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    What are you calling all use dairy goat owners? I hope it's not a 4 letter word.

I'd love to give you advice, but there are probably 50 threads on this in the first few pages. Do a search under the word "goat" and all your dreams will come true.

[​IMG]

3. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    I am also getting some dairy goats and researching them. I got 5 books from the library, which were printed in the 70's, I don't know how much things have changed since then.But I got some some great ideas on how to build the shelter and fencing. I also joined a couple goat forums, but haven't really got much info from them that is any different than the books.

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    All you did and didn't want to know about goats and the books you should buy can be found at www.fiascofarm.com I just spent a bunch of time there yesterday.

5. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:The best place I have found for information is:

http://fiascofarm.com/

They can tell you almost anything you want to know [​IMG]

LOL looks like me and Birdbrain are on the same page [​IMG] I love that site

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you use the forum search you will find many threads with good advice on selecting dairy goats.

7. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    definitely the site already mentioned. you can read the storey book and several others but aside from the bore, i recommend hands on. a book can tell you about sore mouth, which i didn't even remember, and then your goats get sore mouth and your like "oh so that's what that is". a book can tell you how to trim hooves but when you are staring at your goats' hoof with the trimmers it's a whole new thing. plus the book can say a goat will kick you or head butt you but i feel you really need to feel it to know what they mean. they talk about fencing being important but you really need to see your goat sleeping on the top of your van in the middle of the night to appreciate it. okay okay i have a jumper and honestly if i electrified the whole bloody place she wouldn't care. but i don't mind her getting out either since they run free after the mail comes. if you can find someone, preferrably the person you buy your goats from, to show and teach you that is the best in my opinion.

8. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Thanks for the input!

penelope 77 - I am a hands-on type person, but the idea of just jumping in and getting goats is rather terrifying. For once I want to be prepared! [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you can raise chickens you can raise goats. Don't let what you read frighten you. A goat is a goat - it eats, drinks, poops, sleeps, plays and needs shelter. They are also friendly and funny and have wonderful personalities when hand raised.

10. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    Quote:i didn't mean to imply you just jump in. i meant, read the books and then get your hands as dirty as you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by