Calling all Detectives.. CSI Crime Scene photos for your review (non graphic)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Aust1227, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Aust1227

Aust1227 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Date 11/6/14
    Location Eustis FL (just north of Orlando)
    The victim - a 30 lb BB White Turkey
    [​IMG]

The scene - The unknown subject (unsub), climbed up an old 5' field fence, then attacked our turkey enclosure. It appears to have grabbed ahold of the fence, and pulled it out at the staples.. It grabbed the 30lb turkey, scampered across the yard and hopped back over the fence, leaving a trail of turkey feathers, as he left. We walked the wood early this morning, and could not find the carcass.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Witnesses - There were 9 witnesses to the crime. they were all interviewed, but had nothing to say.
    [​IMG]

Additional info - there was no fur or footprints left at the scene to help our ID.

Possible Unsubs - Black bear - i have seen one around the yard a few times. Coyote and Bobcat, I haven't seen any, but I think they are arounds.. Panthers? Fox?

So, BYC Agents, what am I dealing with? And how common is it to lose such a big bird to a predator?

1 person likes this.
  2. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    Put up a hot wire fence using heavy gauge wire, the bigger the wire the bigger the shock, what ever got your turkey will be back .......it's just a matter of when! .....sorry for your loss...I am also thinking human....it's getting close to TURKEY DAY! ......A 30lb. turkey isn't easy to run with....Black bear, human Panther.....nothing smaller the Turkey would be to heavy to go to far with....[​IMG].....~Charm1704

3. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    I usually suspect the perp is a raccoon. Raccoon has both motive and opportunity. Then again I might be guilty of profiling since I always suspect raccoon. Guilty until proven innocent. Raccoon is strong and has nimble hands for this sort of work. However, a raccoon generally makes an opening barely large enough for its own entry and exit. Your crime scene seems to show a more brutish approach consistent with a bear who has also been seen in the vicinity. I agree with other posters, the criminal will return to the scene of the crime and you need to be ready.

4. Aust1227

Aug 4, 2014
    I am leaning towards bear too..

I wish the witnesses had more to say! But they were very uncooperative.

THe back of the truck has five sheets of Plywood in it, so when I get home I will re-connect the fence, then add the plywood over top of that.. This weekend I will pick up some electric wire.

Any advice on electric wire that is strong enough to stop a bear? Also, for the wire users, do you do the whole fence line or just the coop/housing units?

5. CknPOOPedeggs00

CknPOOPedeggs00 New Egg

Nov 6, 2014
    Be careful when excessively drinking in the back yard and the urge to urinate occurs. The electric fence will send a jolt of pain through your water stream and burn like crazy. Portions of my body are considered "Black and White" (Jackson Song) depending on where the charred burns occurred.

6. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    Barbwire or horse wire with no barbs.......It's strong enough to keep the Bear @ bay........heavy enough to give the predator a h___ of a shock! ~Charm1704

7. minnehaha

minnehaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    Sorry for your loss. I'm thinking Human, have you seen any humans in the vicinity latley? ;) What interrogation techniques have you tried with the uncooperative witnesses (unwits)? I lean towards human, with bear being choice number 2, because I think a bear would have done more damage to the pen. And bears would go for your garbage cans and grain storage first depending on which target were easier. Were the turkey's an easier target than the garbage cans and grain storage? Plus, I would expect at least a few black fur strands caught on the fences and on the turkey pen if it were a bear.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  8. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

I'm betting on a bear. As mentioned previously, a high joule heavy duty electric fence is in order. Sorry about your bird.

9. Aust1227

Aug 4, 2014
  10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You can electrify barbed wire, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by