Calling All Dickey Incubator Owners!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MAllen, Jan 18, 2010.

1. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    My Dickey has been running non-stop for since I got it a few months ago. I'm finally at the end of a hatch without new eggs in or waiting to go in so I have a chance to clean it now. It has a lot of green mold growing on the walls that needs to be cleaned up.

What do you guys suggest I use to clean it & how to you get to the back walls & corners to clean them? Do I need to removed the turner racks??

2. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I don't know how your Dickey is, but I understand the GQF 1202/Sportsman/similar cabinet models are configured a lot the same; we unscrewed the back off this 1202 we have here and used a toilet brush to get at/around the turner racks. We didn't have mold but we did have the remnants of some "eggsplosions" from when the owner's husband used it. I think the toilet brush and taking the back off did a good job, had two hatches in it since. We used pretty strong bleach water to clean it and then let it air dry in the sun...course, that was back when the sun was out before winter! Airing it out and running the fan should be okay to dissapate the bleach over a day's time...what does Dickey recommend you do with it?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  3. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    Hi,

He said to use trisodium phosphate to clean it. That mold growth is way back in there at the back so looks like I'll need to remove the back like you did.

Thanks!

4. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    Mission accomplished!

The simple way to get into the box and get it good & clean is to remove the top, then remove one bolt that holds the turners swing arm. From the front remove the tray brackets, after that the turner racks just slide right out. Now you have the empty box & it's easy to clean.

I used bleach water, cleaned it right up.

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Good! Glad that worked out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by