1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calling all English Teachers and Duck Knowers -**Talked to her**

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Goat_Walker, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, So My English teacher is a pretty good teacher, But she messes up words alot or says one thing means this when it actually means that.

She wont even look at us when she is teaching, she stares at the back wall. And It bothers me that no matter how nice or polite you are she always assumes she is right and we the students are wrong.

Well she likes to assign alot of compositions and when I can I write about my ducks.

Problem is she gives us stupid vague topics. The most recent " The happiest day in my life"

She told us to write what lead up to it being the happiest day and such.

Well I wrote about the first time my Buff hatched a duckling. One of the five paragraphs explained the hardships with the weather, goats trampling eggs and such that the nest went through that month , making the day i found a lone duckling the "happiest day of my life"

She took off ten points from this test grade composition because I wrote that after Little Mama had the number of eggs she wanted to set on she "went broody".

Now, English teachers - Is that slang?

Duck knowers - what could I put besides that she went broody over her nest? I love writing about my ducks but I dont want to get stupid points taken off.

She also takes five - 10 points off of every paper if your staple isnt straight [​IMG]

I understand that she is trying to make us accomplished essay turner - in - ers but this is all just a little much for me [​IMG]

K,so I went in before class and talked to her. She said that it wasnt a know term by anyone outside of poultry owners. When I argued and told her that brood isnt used for just poultry that its any bird that sits on her eggs and incubates them she told me to BRING her a dictionary and show her the definition. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Maybe you can find a good resource (BYC? [​IMG] ) to print out and show her that "broody" is a term that basically means that she was "pregnant"... in a way. Good luck!

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    humm she sat on the eggs ? good luck goat _ walker

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

broody

2. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Breeds) (of poultry) wishing to sit on or hatch eggs

Adj. 1. broody - physiologically ready to incubate eggs; "a broody hen"

Main Entry: broody
    Pronunciation: \\ˈbrü-dē\\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 1523

1 : being in a state of readiness to brood eggs that is characterized by cessation of laying and by marked changes in behavior and physiology <a broody hen>

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    It Just irks me to no end because I know tat If I had said something to her right then and there when she gave me back my paper and asked her if she knew anything about ducks that she would have said no and said that "broody" isnt a real word because thats just the kind of ... Ok im not going to say it. Lets just say that this teacher and I had a "misunderstanding" at the beggginging of the year on compositions. She never explained to us that when she says " Plan " It means the outline and brainstorming, so when I asked her about the outline and brainstorm she said no, not to do it and the next day she tells us to turn in our "plan" and when I ask her why she told me not to turn my brainstorm and outline in when it was due she said that the I never brought up the "plan". [​IMG]

6. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:What would I do with out you Rainplace? [​IMG]

She cant argue with that I dont think.

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    There's more than 1 defination, I'm betting it's an unfamiliar term to her.

brood·y (brd)
    adj. brood·i·er, brood·i·est
    a. Meditative; contemplative.
    b. Oppressive: "The room's air was broody and sullen, like the season's own, full of storm clouds" (Nicholas Proffitt).
    2. Disposed to sit on eggs to hatch them: a broody hen.

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

How about "She decided to show her maternal instinct" [​IMG]

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I'll give you a hint, GW, many english teachers in highschool wanted to be writers and instead are in teaching due to an inability to make a living as a writer. It sounds as if you got one of those, keep your head down, when it matters fight for your points, and let the rest rool off your back.

*note many teachers, even english ones do love teaching, but I'd say a 50/50 split of the love teaching, and can't pay the bills as a writer kinds in our district.

10. fitzy

fitzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    manhattan, ks
    Quote:I'd have to agree with that! I had one of these for my jr. english class....at one point i "kicked myself outta class" just to beat her to the punch!

for what it's worth, here's the link to dictionary.com's answer

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/broody

I'm sure she'll have a problem with that also, because it probably isn't considered a real dictionary.....at this point (being the troublemaker i'm inclined to be) i'd point out that Daniel Webster only had a 2nd grade education! I always got a kick out of correcting/embarassing teacher's ignorance in front of the whole class whenever possible! [​IMG]

for the record, this post is in NO WAY meant to incite a riot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by