Calling all experienced gardners! Can you tell me what is happening to

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BethieofVA, May 16, 2011.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    my necterine fruit? I planted this tree last year and it is loaded this year, but I am having issues with something killing the new fruit. Here are a few pics. If you can give me some direction how to treat I would soooo appreciate it. I did spray some organice insectide, but that must have been like throwing water on it!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I don't have an answer and just want to commiserate with you. I, too, have a nectarine. I planted it the first spring after we moved in here--about 6 years ago. It's gorgeous and every year sets tons and tons of fruit. However, I have never actually tasted any of that fruit because, no matter how much or how little I spray and no matter what I spray with, all the fruit rots and dies. Sometimes it's bugs and sometimes it is brown fruit rot. Sometimes it is whatever causes the clear sappy stuff to drip all over the fruit. Whatever it is, the results are always the same: the fruit rots and falls off long before it can ever ripen. One year it did actually seemed like I might have some success with a few of the fruit...but a small tornado ripped through here and literally blew all the fruit off the trees!

So if you ever do succeed in harvesting any fruit...think of me while you're enjoying it!

[​IMG]

Rusty

3. Britney

Britney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    May be a parasite?

4. mtngrl812

mtngrl812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks to me like you have some type of worm burrowing into the fruit to nest or eat. You need a stronger insecticide to help kill of the worms. If I was you I would also pull off some of the fruits so the tree can work on maturing the fruit. The tree sounds a little young for so much production [​IMG] I would leave only one fruit where there are 2 or 3 growing. If you like organic or more gentle methods of keeping parasites off you could maybe spray with a solution of Dawn and water [​IMG] but you need to do something quick or those darn worms are going to have all your fruit ruined.

Good luck!

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Yes, the damage is caused by an insect like the plum curculio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_curculio

There
    are several methods you can use to prevent.
    I use wooden balls (actually wooden eggs) painted bright glossy red and coated with sticky trap goop. Any insect which lays its eggs on fruit are attracted to shiny colored spheres and can't take off after contacting the goo.
    I also use old Clorox/style jugs hung up in the tree with a baseball size opening cut into the top and a pint of apple cider with a teaspoon of molasses in the jug. Insects smell the fermenting odor and fly in and drown.

You can have your fruit trees in the barnyard with calves and chickens, the calves rubbing against the tree will cause the Plum curculio to drop off and the chickens will eat them.

Or you can get advice from the agriculture salesman, get a insect fogger, fog your orchard once a week killing everything that walks, crawls, or flies whether its a good or bad insect, poisoning the air, water, and soil. ( and yourself and family)

6. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Thank you all for the information!!

"If I was you I would also pull off some of the fruits so the tree can work on maturing the fruit. The tree sounds a little young for so much production"

I have had one branch break on its own from being too heavy. I guess I need to do just that!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by