Calling all fish owners! Is this Tetra going to lay eggs? Edit: Solved

TropicalFishForum.net
Oh, interesting. I did just look again after reading this, and neither eye seems to be "popping" out. They are set away from her face, but I think that all fish are like that? Let me see if I can get another photo. When I compare her to the male, I think her eyes seem the same as his. :confused:
What is dropsy? I'll do some Googling about it to, but of course the reliability of the source ins't always very good.

I read that. Thats why I want to put her in a second tank, so that when she does spawn she will be away from the others. They also said to fill it with lots of fake spawning grass to hide the eggs from the breeders. If I am not home or don't happen to physically see her start spawning, (can you even see them spawning?) How will I know to remove her? Will the grass even give any protect? Is it worth separating her? What are the chances I can do I right?
Here's a link to my thread on that forum- https://www.fishforums.net/threads/is-this-tetra-going-to-lay-eggs.481337/#post-4175900
Thanks for the help!
Yes, definitely do get another picture. Get some from above too.
Honestly, the amount of effort it will take to raise babies is really not worth it. You're going to need special food, a sponge filter, you'll need to cycle the tank first, you'll have to clean the tank constantly, etc. Then, you'll still need to find a home for the babies, if they actually survive.

Yes, definitely do get another picture. Get some from above too.
Honestly, the amount of effort it will take to raise babies is really not worth it. You're going to need special food, a sponge filter, you'll need to cycle the tank first, you'll have to clean the tank constantly, etc. Then, you'll still need to find a home for the babies, if they actually survive.
Agreed, I don't think I'm going to do it. As a newbie hobby fish owner, I don't feel the need to go through all the effort if not not a breeder or whatever. I'll probably just let them all have a treat when she spawns. I've already struggled with keeping their tank clean, I don't think I'm up for taking on youngsters.

Agreed, I don't think I'm going to do it. As a newbie hobby fish owner, I don't feel the need to go through all the effort if not not a breeder or whatever. I'll probably just let them all have a treat when she spawns. I've already struggled with keeping their tank clean, I don't think I'm up for taking on youngsters.
How big of a tank is it? A tank with a filter really doesnt need attention...i havent even topped my tank off in over a year just changed the filter

Do you use a biofilter or mechanical filter with active charcoal?

If you place objects that the tetra can swim in she might lay there. Like a cup or small cave like structure. You'll need Java moss or small clusters water plants for the babies to hide in.

This all done in her existing tank. You don't need special food for the babies, they generally scavenge on food debri and plant materials.

How big of a tank is it? A tank with a filter really doesnt need attention...i havent even topped my tank off in over a year just changed the filter
A 20 gallon tank. I current have 4 neon tetras, 2 skirt tetras, 1 glow fish tetra, 1 cory catfish, and 2 gourami's in it. I bought it off of Craigslist. I have an under gravel filter. I've been having issues with ammonia. I lost a tetra too it already. 😢
In the past I would only do a 75% water change once a month. I've been doing it once a week now to keep ammonia down.

Do you use a biofilter or mechanical filter with active charcoal?

If you place objects that the tetra can swim in she might lay there. Like a cup or small cave like structure. You'll need Java moss or small clusters water plants for the babies to hide in.

This all done in her existing tank. You don't need special food for the babies, they generally scavenge on food debri and plant materials.
Interesting. If they have places to hide, the other fish wont eat them? I feel like it would be a neat experience to raise them if it isn't to difficult, though I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

I have an under gravel filter. I'm not sure which one that would categorize in. :p

@HappyClucker7, these are the best photos I could get from the top. The camera was having a hard time focusing through the glass. I don't see any pinecone scales though, you can kind of see in the photos, but all of her scales are flat.
IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

Back
Top Bottom