Calling all fish owners! Is this Tetra going to lay eggs? Edit: Solved

You said you have gouramis? Those buggers will be eating the eggs or fry in an instant.
Yes, that is why I was planning on putting the fry in a seperate tank if I tired. I was going to be surprised if they didn't eat them. They have already eaten the shrimp that came in the tank. Probably not a breed I would have chosen to go with smaller fish had I started my own tank. :hmm:p
And an under gravel filter does a terrible job of removing ammonia, get an over the tank one. Walmart sells a decent one, I've used their brand for years.
Good to know! The tank didn't even have a filter when I got it, a family member of mine who thinks he is a fish genius said it was the best. :rolleyes: Turns out he doesn't know too much about fish. I was wondering if it was really doing any good. I'll look into getting a different one. Thank you!

My biggest question at this point, should I try to raise the fry? I do realize that I would have to separate them from the Gourami's, I was going to be really surprised if they weren't going to be an issue. I would either have to separate the Gourami's, or separate the fry/eggs. I could let her lay her eggs in the current tank, cycle a new tank and put the Gourami's in the new tank. :confused: I really would like to raise them, I think it would be pretty neat. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew though.

You said you have gouramis? Those buggers will be eating the eggs or fry in an instant. And an under gravel filter does a terrible job of removing ammonia, get an over the tank one. Walmart sells a decent one, I've used their brand for years. I used to have African Cichlids and unintentionally bred them for years. But they are mouth brooders, so it makes it a whole different experience. But when those eggs hatched, I didn't feed the fry anything special, they just ate what was on the bottom or floating around. Right now, I have a 29 gallon with neon tetras, black skirt tetras, zebra danios, red tetras, and a albino clown pleco but I do miss the African Cichlids
Is this the filter your talking about?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Tech-5-15-Aquarium-Power-Filter/10313136
It says 5-15 gallons, so I would need a larger one. If its the right brand I can find it at PetSmart next week, or Amazon.

Yes, but they sell larger ones too. Go to the store to see, they have all the way up to 50 gallons. You could try putting the female in something like this, it hangs on the inside of your current tank so there is no need for a new tank. Then when she lays, the fry are in there and safe from the other fish. Assuming she won't eat them. You would have to feed the fry if you did this way. I would just crumble flakes up really small, it's what I did. Remove the female after she lays

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220521-204549.png
    Screenshot_20220521-204549.png
    667.9 KB · Views: 1
Yes, but they sell larger ones too. Go to the store to see, they have all the way up to 50 gallons. You could try putting the female in something like this, it hangs on the inside of your current tank so there is no need for a new tank. Then when she lays, the fry are in there and safe from the other fish. Assuming she won't eat them. You would have to feed the fry if you did this way. I would just crumble flakes up really small, it's what I did. Remove the female after she lays
Ooo, that could work! Thank you! I'll definitely look into that, and the filter.
Would the fry be able to stay in that for their whole lives? Assuming not, but for how long could they stay there? How many will she lay? If I can't find them all homes, we have a local fish store that may take them. I'll have to ask, I'm pretty sure she does.

Which size should I get? Large? I think I'm going to order this.

Ooo, that could work! Thank you! I'll definitely look into that, and the filter.
Would the fry be able to stay in that for their whole lives? Assuming not, but for how long could they stay there? How many will she lay? If I can't find them all homes, we have a local fish store that may take them. I'll have to ask, I'm pretty sure she does.
I would order the largest you can. They won't stay in that forever, just until they get big enough to go with the other fish. I have no idea how many she will lay, I've only ever bred cichlids. It's a stretch that they will even live but worth a shot. I never thought my cichlids would live but they were so successful that I got another tank going just for the babies

I would order the largest you can. They won't stay in that forever, just until they get big enough to go with the other fish. I have no idea how many she will lay, I've only ever bred cichlids. It's a stretch that they will even live but worth a shot. I never thought my cichlids would live but they were so successful that I got another tank going just for the babies
Will do! Thanks so much for the help, I'll get the largest one. Worth a shot right? If I needed to I could always setup another tank as they grew if I thought I needed it. Plus, after I found homes for the fry I could get more fish, I've got nothing against that. :) I'll get the separation pen in a large, and give it a shot. I'm also going to order that filter too. I found one on Amazon. I would get it in store, but don't really feel like adding another stop to the list when we got to town next week. Plus it will arrive faster if I order, than if I get it next week.
Thanks for the help!

Will do! Thanks so much for the help, I'll get the largest one. Worth a shot right? If I needed to I could always setup another tank as they grew if I thought I needed it. Plus, after I found homes for the fry I could get more fish, I've got nothing against that. :) I'll get the separation pen in a large, and give it a shot. I'm also going to order that filter too. I found one on Amazon. I would get it in store, but don't really feel like adding another stop to the list when we got to town next week. Plus it will arrive faster if I order, than if I get it next week.
Thanks for the help!
Just remember, on the filter, the cartridge needs to be replaced once a month so you have to get a filter that has easy to find cartridge replacements. Hence why I go the Walmart route, easy for me to go buy the cartridges when I need to

Just remember, on the filter, the cartridge needs to be replaced once a month so you have to get a filter that has easy to find cartridge replacements. Hence why I go the Walmart route, easy for me to go buy the cartridges when I need to
Got it. I'm sure Amazon has the cartridges, but I'll check my local PetSmart too. I'd rather not order them every time. I'm planning on going there next week for more live plants.

I've never used an over the tank filter, which is probably obvious. What do you have to do manage it, other than change cartridges? When I make the switch, can I just take the tubes etc off the under gravel filter, and leave the plastic grate that sits under the gravel? I feel like if I have to take that out its going to be really dirty. Rustle up a lot of gunk in the gravel.

Got it. I'm sure Amazon has the cartridges, but I'll check my local PetSmart too. I'd rather not order them every time. I'm planning on going there next week for more live plants.

I've never used an over the tank filter, which is probably obvious. What do you have to do manage it, other than change cartridges? When I make the switch, can I just take the tubes etc off the under gravel filter, and leave the plastic grate that sits under the gravel? I feel like if I have to take that out its going to be really dirty. Rustle up a lot of gunk in the gravel.
Yeah, that would be messy. No need to remove it. There is beneficial bacteria in that gravel that you will mess up if you remove it so just leave it. Over tank filters are super easy to maintain. Pretty much, just change the cartridge once a month. When you go to start it, it just plugs in and starts, no power button. Just make sure to put some water in the filter, so it doesn't run dry for the few seconds it takes to start up

Back
Top Bottom