Calling all fish owners! Is this Tetra going to lay eggs? Edit: Solved

There will never be babies if you separate the male and female and it's very unlikely they will spawn In a tiny breeder box. And even if they did spawn in the breeder box they will still eat the eggs unless you have some sort of material like a breeder mop.
Got it, I was wondering that as well. The box does have a grate at the bottom that the eggs can pass through so they can't eat them. I'm not sure if they will spawn in it though.
I think I might just cancel the order. With all of this in mind, I am starting to think my setup is going to make it way way more effort than its worth. They can all just have a nice snack instead.

I figured that is how they do it. Netflix documentary's have a few episodes here and there that include fish spawning/breeding. I assumed that was probably how it went. I would need to put them both in the breeding box.

At this point I'm wondering if I should just cancel the order on the breeding box. Starting to sound like a lot more effort than its worth....
It would be fun, but with my Gourami's and not knowing gender, and etc, etc, etc, doesn't sound like the best setup.
I wouldn't bother with a breeder box. They really are meant for live-bearers that become gravid.
You will not likely have much success with breeding tetras even with a completely separate tank. Babies are very fragile and eggs can get fungus and all manner of issues. Watch some YouTube videos of professional breeders and you will see what a pain it is lol.
That said, breeding fish is very fun and rewarding. I would start with small live-bearers if you want to breed fish.

This I definitely knew. I bought this tank from someone off of Craigslist, since I wanted to start out with an established tank rather than worry about circulating ect. He already had the Gourami's in it. I knew that once they got big I would either need another tank, or to rehome them. This I am definitely aware of.
This in mind, I just remembered I have a friend with a 50 gallon she no longer uses. Pretty sure she has all the stuff for it too. She told us when we got our tank I should have just taken her's. I definitely could now. I'll probably just talk to her about taking that for the Gourami's.
With that in mind, how many Gourami's could fit in a 50 gallon tank? :p

I personally breed (and I used this term extremely loosely bc I do nothing other than select the males and females and they do everything on their own) scarlet endless live-bearers and green lantern platies. I particularly love the little endlers and seeing their color develop. My oldest male breeder is nearly 5 years old!

I wouldn't bother with a breeder box. They really are meant for live-bearers that become gravid.
You will not likely have much success with breeding tetras even with a completely separate tank. Babies are very fragile and eggs can get fungus and all manner of issues. Watch some YouTube videos of professional breeders and you will see what a pain it is lol.
That said, breeding fish is very fun and rewarding. I would start with small live-bearers if you want to breed fish.
Thanks for all the info! Going into it it sounded much easier than I thought. :) I canceled the breeder box order. If it still arrives I'll just return it. For a hobby fish owner like me who is still trying to figure her setup out, probably not the best idea to introduce baby fish into the mix. 🤪
Who knows, maybe my Gourami's will get pregnant, live bearers so I guess pregnant is correct, one day and I'll get another opportunity.

I personally breed (and I used this term extremely loosely bc I do nothing other than select the males and females and they do everything on their own) scarlet endless live-bearers and green lantern platies. I particularly love the little endlers and seeing their color develop. My oldest male breeder is nearly 5 years old!
That is so neat! How cool!
I feel like it would be really fun. Maybe something to re visit with a breed that will sell better in the future. I think it would be really neat.

Do you know what kind of gouramis? Or if you take a pic I can ID them. Gourami's tend to get quite aggressive and territorial when they reach sexual maturity.
I think I have one 3 spot, or at least thats what they said when we got the tank. He has 3 spots, but its almost like he or she rotates between the spots, and being blue and almost stripey. I have a photo of the Orange Gourami, I can grab a photo of the Blue one in a second here.
Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom