calling all goat owners

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by batorcrazzy, Jan 20, 2009.

1. batorcrazzy

batorcrazzy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2008
    kemp tx
    if you raise goats and could help me i just got my first two goats today the nanny is breed heavy and the male is the father.need to know anything you think i should know about goats from feed to worms shots and whatever you think i need to know thank you

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  3. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Some basics are:

12% creep feed at 1 pound/day/goat is sufficient.
    Add in some alfalfa pellets or cubes- a handful for each goat
    As the doe gets within 6 weeks of kidding add a 1/2 cup of sweet feed to her ration. She will need the extra sugar and calories.

Hay free choice at all times

wormer is available at any farm store- ask for help. Some wormers cannot be given to pregnant does. We worm once a month and use DE as a top dressing for food weekly

Loose minierals, baking soda, salt free choice at all times

We have had goats for 2 years. We also show our meat goats and this feeding schedule has served us well. We have goats with a lot of meat and not a lot of fat. Our goats have place very will in the shows. The kids born have been very healthy.[​IMG]

Enjoy your new goats! They are very funny critters! We love ours:love

The fias co website it awsome.
    www.jackmauldin.com is also a good site with great info.

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Cool Gerald-I'm jealous

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I reccomend a search in the other pets and livestock forum here on BYC. You will find tons of info on goats and their needs and care.

Enjoy them. They have very unique personalities and will warm the hackles of even the coldest of hearts. [​IMG]

6. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Quote:Our vet told us not to give sweet feed to a buck, as it has a tendency to cause urinary problems, and to feed 16% mare and foal feed rather than sweet feed in general.

I feed oats/barley/cracked corn mixed 45/35/20 to my heavily pregnant doe, and will do the same when the other has two months to go. She gets one small coffee can twice a day. I think it weighs just over 2lbs. They will also get that the whole time they are milking, until they dry up. They all have free choice alfalfa.

7. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:Our vet told us not to give sweet feed to a buck, as it has a tendency to cause urinary problems.

I just stopped giving my wether sweet feed because I was reading that it can cause urinary problems. At least I wasn't feeding him a lot.

Anyone else have any thoughts on sweet feed and male goats?

8. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ohh i thought it was to much calcium that causes that problem.

9. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    UC is caused when the calcium to phosphrus ratios are off balance and if you feed grain to wethers you need 2 to 1 ratio which is why if they get grain to give alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay and Ammonium chloride also. I add salt to the feed so they drink lots of water.

10. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ok....I am getting mixed up here. I thought grain with mollass in it and alfalfa hay was bad for the boys. But you are saying that if you feed the grain to balance it out to give they alfafla hay also. That was exactly what i was doing until i read that alfafla hay wasnt good for them because of the calcium. I really wish i new the real truth to this.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by