Calling all Home Made Incubators !!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goat_Walker, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Does any one have pictures of their home made incubator that they would like to share?

I am on a budget, but id like an incubator, my buff duck is popping out eggs everyday and id like to hatch some myself in the spring [​IMG] ( They are fertilized , lol )

All pictures are highly appriciated! If you could put your finances below the pictures that would be wnderful!!

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I wish I had a pic of the one I bought yesterday for $10!

Maybe I can lay it on my scanner...

[​IMG]

3. lesliet

lesliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    this is what I made using Miss Prissy's instuctions

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    $10 ?! If you can scan it, That would be awesome! lol

And the cooler idea is wonderful! do you happen to know where I can find the instructions?

5. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I watched a utube video on making a 'bator from a small igloo type of cooler. There were several videos concerning it.

The $10 bator is kinda dirty... I'll have to do some cleaning before I can try sitting in on my scanner.

[​IMG]

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    This is my bator made from a 48 qt cooler using a light fixture, PC fan and water heater thermostat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    crud.... my attempt to scan did not work - it was just black.

Oh well, at least you got me to clean the thing.

It's a Igloo brand rather than a Coleman, and looks almost like yours give-take placement of the various amenities.

It has a thermostat that turns the lights on and off, so that's really cool. I can set it and not have to watch it every minute.

It sits upright, opens like a cupboard... but I realized while I was cleaning it that I could lay it on its side if I want - all I need to do is span the 2 existing wire shelves with a square of wire placed on top of them.

I can take photos, but I have to get them developed before I can post. I'm one of those people with no cell phone and no digital camera.

The cool thing about these Igloo bators is that the ridges on the sides can hold the wire shelves in place if you want to turn it upright and slide them in.
    [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Check my sig line-there is a link to two very different ones and diagrams.

9. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks!

If I cant get a cooler, that will be a bummer [​IMG]

Does any one have any bators made using tanks? I have a few extra 10 gall aquariums that I could use.

10. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I would think the principle would be exactly the same, only you'd have to do everything inside the tank since you can't drill holes.

You'd have to close it in -- you could do that with a piece of wood. Drill holes in one end for your light/fan plugs, and cut out a viewing window -- lay a piece of glass over that, tape it on, and you're good to go!

Maybe you could place a piece of wire or wood at half height across one end of the tank -- inside would be your light bulb and other apparatus.

You could make a wire 'table' for the main section to hold the eggs (bend the edges down to act as supports and slide it in so it's tight around the sides).

Leave room for a bowl of water - either underneath the wire or in the side with the apparatus, depending on the humidity you need.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by