Calling All Horse Lovers in the Northeast - Rescue Needed!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickbea, Dec 27, 2007.

1. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    There was an unfortunate horse cruelty case in Southern Vermont in June. All the horses have been adopted out except one, and she desperately needs a new home.

This poor girl (they have named her Sweetie) is waiting to be rescued for the THIRD time. She was originally a Premarin mare. The people who "rescued" her from that situation then kept her, her foal, and 7 other horses in atrocious (sp?) conditions until all nine were rescued in the summer. Unfortunately, Sweetie's 4-week old foal, Spirit, died shortly after the rescue. To make matters even worse, Sweetie had been rebred shortly before the rescue, and she is due to deliver another foal in May. [​IMG]

Sweetie is a 10 year old, 15 hand quarter horse. Most likely she will never be able to be ridden due to the conditions she was kept in. However, they are hoping that someone out there has room for Sweetie and the foal that is on the way. Sweetie was last bred to another quarter horse.

Despite her hard life, the shelter workers and her current foster home say that she is aptly named Sweetie, and that she is very easy-going with people and other horses. If I had the extra room I'd be planning a trip there myself!

Anyway, if you want to check her out, she is through the Windham County Humane Society (www.wchs4pets.org). There is a tiny picture of her to click on to find out more...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Another sad case. Unfortunately right now here in the Northeast as far as I know even all the rescues are full to capacity. I knew someone that wanted to relinquish an aged horse due to financial reasons and the rescues she contacted told her the best thing she could do for the horse was to put it down as they were so full with waiting list and they most likely would never be able to find the old man a home. Winter as we know too is also a very bad time. The economy is not good for many and some people who might think of helping are unable. I am on an e-mail list of one of the New England Rescues and there are just to many horses and not enough homes! It just breaks my heart to read and see. I hope Sweetie finds someone who will love her.

3. redneck_cowgirl87

redneck_cowgirl87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2008
    awwwwwwwww sweetie looks so cute if i had a way i would take her we have plenty of room just no way to transport a horse. i love horses so much we have 1 that is spoiled rotten lol. would take rescues in a minute flat if i could transport them!!!!!!!

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    If I had some cash and could talk my hubby into it - I'd take the poor girl, she might make a nice buddy for my lonely horse! (we got a goat to keep my horse company)

She looks very sweet!

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Some transport companies will cut a deal on a rescue horse - not sure how GOOD a deal, but a deal anyway!

6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I'm a sucker for horses but just bought my second one a month ago. I board so can not afford another. There is one person, I could forward this off to, but probably not interested as she has no experience in foaling. I'll see what I can find. Not hopefull though. Do you know if they adopt out of state?

Where do live Wildsky? I assume out west?

7. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Man I wish I had the room for another horse. That baby is going to be a guaranteed palamino or buckskin and possibly perlino or cremello depending on the colors in the parents backgrounds. I just LOVE dilutes!!

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    For those of you who love a happy ending, I just received word that a wonderful home has been found for Sweetie and she has already settled in. Yay!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    YAY!! Good news for Sweetie! So glad she found a home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by