Calling all horse-lovers! War Horse on Broadway! Then the Big Screen!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kelly G, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I have heard about this play - the story is wonderful - and the puppets used on stage to represent horses - come to life in the most unbelievable way!

This is the official "War Horse" website: http://www.warhorseonbroadway.com/

This
    is a short video about the development of the puppets - definitely worth a watch!

Dress rehearsals with the puppets -

Then - Steven Spielberg has made it into a movie (real horses - no puppets) - that is due to be released in August:
    http://thefilmstage.com/2011/03/11/first-official-photo-steven-spielbergs-war-horse/

I can't wait to see this!!! Here is a synopsis of the plot:

Brief Synposis: From director Steven Spielberg comes WAR HORSE, an epic adventure for audiences of all ages. Set against a sweeping canvas of rural England and Europe during the First World War, WAR HORSE begins with the remarkable friendship between a horse named Joey and a young man called Albert, who tames and trains him. When they are forcefully parted, the film follows the extraordinary journey of the horse as he moves through the war, changing and inspiring the lives of all those he meets—British cavalry, German soldiers, and a French farmer and his granddaughter—before the story reaches its emotional climax in the heart of No Man’s Land.
    The First World War is experienced through the journey of this horse—an odyssey of joy and sorrow, passionate friendship and high adventure. WAR HORSE is one of the great stories of friendship and war—a successful book, it was turned into a hugely successful international theatrical hit that is arriving on Broadway next year. It now comes to screen in an epic adaptation by one of the great directors in film history.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I guess I look forward to the movie coming out (would rather see the puppet version!), but I bet who REALLY looks forward to it coming out is breeders of whatever kind(s) of horses are in the movie, presumably hairy drafty things like Friesians, Vanners, and actual draft horses... should bump the market up a bit... [​IMG]

Pat

3. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

LOL Pat!!! The world needs more fluffy horses! LOL

In all reality, it looks like they chose a Thoroughbred to play the role of "Joe." If you look at the last link, it has photos taken while the film was being shot.

The puppets are amazing, aren't they?!!

4. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
  5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'm all for seeing it if it has a happy ending

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I love the puppets, I always wanted to work for a studio building them..... I was always making things that moved as a child.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by