Calling All Old Cast Iron Lovers.......

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Lunachick, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I have no idea where this hankering came from! I have my Grandmothers old black frying pan probably from the 30's and a dutch oven with lid that I use all the time. But I NEEDED to get some old griddles - couldn't find anything I wanted online. New ones were around $55 for the flip kind (flat griddle on one side, raised bars on the other) But they had no charm! Paul took me antiquing and I found what I wanted!

[​IMG]

I got the both of them for $50. That was my splurge for this month. [​IMG] (That plug thing on the right is for something else!)

2. Amanda0609

Amanda0609 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Very nice! I have a cast iron skillet I use it for everything, I love it. They are so much better than the non stick gargabe they sell these days.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I love my cast iron....it's basically all I use.

4. way2gomom

way2gomom Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Those are so awesome! I never think about going antiquing to find things like that, but my husband would go wild for those!

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG]

6. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    My hubby loves'em too! We have one just the right size for 2 eggs. It's cute. I want one that is made for cornbread. It already has the raised edges for individual slices.

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I love cast iron AND antiquing [​IMG] Those are a great find. Lucky you!

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Quote:I saw a few of them when I was in the store! They also had those large pots with handles, I guess you use those over a fire? But I want one of those now. [​IMG] I'll have to wait til next month.

I'm not sure of cleaning them though - I usually just scrape off the gunk and run hot water over them and scrub with a brush. Then give them a little olive oil let them dry and put them away. Is this the way to do it? *ahem* Katy....hint hint. [​IMG]

9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:I saw a few of them when I was in the store! They also had those large pots with handles, I guess you use those over a fire? But I want one of those now. [​IMG] I'll have to wait til next month.

I'm not sure of cleaning them though - I usually just scrape off the gunk and run hot water over them and scrub with a brush. Then give them a little olive oil let them dry and put them away. Is this the way to do it? *ahem* Katy....hint hint. [​IMG]

Thats all I do [​IMG] right or not [​IMG]

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I have a lot of cast iron I use for camping, chili cook-offs, you name it. Some of it is old some just looks old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by