Calling all poop experts! How would you treat this?

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
I have a three-year old EE, Ethel, and she's had a poopy butt for a long time. I wash it, and it crusts back up again in less than a day.

Ethel seems to be feeling okay, but she's in the throes of molt. She's jumpy and crabby, but she doesn't act sick. She eats and is active. But she leaves a puddle of poop each night on the poop board that is runny, mostly white with no yellow in it and it has mucous and tiny bits of green.

She was laying normal eggs up to a few weeks ago when she began to molt in earnest. No foul odor to the poop. She eats fermented feed, but she was on dry feed for a few weeks during September when I was sidetracked with medical procedures. Her poop has been like this since before that. So the FF and dry crumbles didn't seem to make any difference.

I know something is up with this poop, but I am in sore need of some input as to what could be behind it.
P1010006.JPG

I have a three-year old EE, Ethel, and she's had a poopy butt for a long time. I wash it, and it crusts back up again in less than a day.

Ethel seems to be feeling okay, but she's in the throes of molt. She's jumpy and crabby, but she doesn't act sick. She eats and is active. But she leaves a puddle of poop each night on the poop board that is runny, mostly white with no yellow in it and it has mucous and tiny bits of green.

She was laying normal eggs up to a few weeks ago when she began to molt in earnest. No foul odor to the poop. She eats fermented feed, but she was on dry feed for a few weeks during September when I was sidetracked with medical procedures. Her poop has been like this since before that. So the FF and dry crumbles didn't seem to make any difference.

I know something is up with this poop, but I am in sore need of some input as to what could be behind it. View attachment 1583137

chalky material aka urine .& Here in India I have read that white loose poop that has no fecal or less fecal is the Sign Of Newcastle ..or a long time Respiratory Infection That known As CRD

Like ND has no treatments it only rise when weather turning from hot to cold cold to hot as a viral
But I have read proven good treatment with Indian basil , aloe vera , garlic & neem

CRD is treatable with Antibiotics
Have u check for respiratory signs ?

The thing that has me stumped and calling out for help is that Ethel is not acting sick at all. This has been the state of her poop for at least the past couple months. She also shows no signs of a crop disorder. She eats a modest amount of FF and the crop empties as it should. No respiratory symptoms at all.

I'm considering worms, but I've never seen any exposed in any poop in my flock over the past eleven years. Everyone else's poop is normal.

The thing that has me stumped and calling out for help is that Ethel is not acting sick at all. This has been the state of her poop for at least the past couple months. She also shows no signs of a crop disorder. She eats a modest amount of FF and the crop empties as it should. No respiratory symptoms at all.

I'm considering worms, but I've never seen any exposed in any poop in my flock over the past eleven years. Everyone else's poop is normal.

.I think then it's just her urine .. sometimes my rooster does the same kind of poop then I notice if it's slightly warm or too cold

If u still doubt to have worms u can give some pumpkin seeds or watermelon seeds and also garlic once a week it will really help

I've had a couple of questions...
  1. Are you feeding, all flock, layer, or something else?
  2. Do you know how to tube feed or give subcutaneous fluids?
  3. Have you been tracking her weight?
I've seen this in mine when they are dehydrated, which can sometimes mean just dehydration, but usually,

something else is going on.

mucous and tiny bits of green.
My horse vet said that mucus cover poo means it's been sitting in the digestive tract too long, and I think the same is true with birds.

If she were mine I would start tubing Pedialyte or water with electrolytes at the rate 3% of her body weight now, repeat in 60-90 minutes, then again every 6-8 hours.

Back
Top Bottom