1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

calling all rabbit experts

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by slightlyscrambled, Oct 14, 2009.

1. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I know apple wood is good for buns to chew on but would mullberry wood be okay? We have lots of mullberry trees and am always cutting something back or down. Just wanted to know if I should save some for our bunny.[​IMG]
    Thanks

2. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    the only tree I wouldnt give them is cherry wood that I know is toxic, if in doubt dont feed out.

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    You may want to check out the House Rabbit Society's website. They have a wealth of info on all things bunny, including a great page about diet.
    It's www.rabbit.org

4. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I am sorry but I wouldnt recomend house rabbit society to any one.
    Their idea of diet is poor at best. leading to malnourished rabbits and many teeth and bone issues.
    their suggestions for vegtables and greens and lack of pelleted feed has caused more problems with "pet" rabbits.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    Gee, I have been using that diet for over 10 years now and my rabbits live to be over 8 years old and you can't call any of them thin or malnourished.

6. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    Well I wasnt to worried about diet other than we have no apple trees and the stupid wood chewey things at the pet store are expensive... just wanted to know if mullberry wood was okay.
    But I cant find anything on it.[​IMG]so I guess I wont feed it untill I know if its okay.
    Thanks anyhow!

7. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    Mulberry wood is safe just make sure you are getting it from chemical free trees and don't forget to boil and bake your wood

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  8. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:Why would you boil or bake your wood?

I have this list, I have no idea where I got it, and I saved it to word, or else I would post the link.

Treats Safe For Rabbits

The following is a list of fruits, vegetables, herbs, flowers, and other treats it is ok for your rabbit to have. This list has been compiled from other lists & resources.
    · Keep in mind, even though these are ok for your rabbit to have, you still have to moderate how much you give your rabbit, because the high sugar content of the fruits and too many greens may cause diarrhea.
    · Introduce fruits and vegetables slowly over several weeks. And always remember no pesticides!

·
    Fruits
    Fruit can be dehydrated or freshApples Blueberries Banana Chips Blackberry(leaves, stems, fruit) Cranberries Cantaloupe Grapes Hawthorn Berries Honey Dew Melon Oranges Papaya Pears Peaches Pineapple Privet Berries Raspberry(leaves, stems, fruit) Strawberries Watermelon
    Vegetables
    Artichoke (jers) Arugula Asparagus Basil Lettuce (romaine, red & green leaf) Beans Outer Leaves) Beet tops Beets Beet Root Bok Choy Broccoli Brussel Sprout Cabbage (Outer Leaves) Carrot (tops and root) Cauliflower (Outer Leaves) Celery Chard Collard Greens Cucumber Endive Escarole Green Pepper Kale Kohlrabi Lettuce (Outer Leaves) Parsnips Peas Outer Leaves) Pumpkin Radish tops Raddicho Romaine Lettuce Snow Peas Spinach (Outer Leaves) Sugar Beets Summer Squash Sweds Turnips Watercress Yam Zucchini
    Herbs
    Anise Hyssop Sage Salad Bernet Barley Basil Bee Balm Borage Chamomile Dill Fennel Pineapple Sage French Tarragon Chives (in moderation) Greek Oregano Lavender Lemon Balm LemonVerbena Marjoram Mustard Rosemary Mint Comfrey Cow Parsley
    Flowers
    Calendula Chrysanthemum Dandelion (high in calcium) Daylilly Dianthus English Daisy Honeysuckle Lilacs Marigold Nastursham Oxeye Daisy Pansy Red Clover Rose Scented Geranium Squash Blossom Sweet Woodruff Tuberous Begoni Violas Violets Yew (needles, seeds, berries) Yucca
    Others
    Acorn Alfalfa Beechnuts Cheerios (plain or multi-grain) Chickweed Crimped Barley Clover Grounsel Hazel Hog weed KIX cereal Knotted Persicaria Lucerne Nettles Plantain Pumpkin Seeds Old Fashioned Oatmeal Shepherds Purse Sunflower Seeds Vetch Willow Wheat Yarrow Yogurt Chips

9. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    You need to boil then bake it in case of parasites which can live on or inside the wood......It also makes your sticks crunchy which they love!!

I wouldn't worry so much about the new green shoots they probably wont bake so well anyhow but any sticks or wood have the possibility of parasites.

10. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Re house rabbit society. It depends on what tyou think is malnourished. You may think your rabbits are healthy on that, but I am sorry most rabbits I have seen pictures of that were fed that did not look that healthy to me at all. Gypsy is right. This diet will only end up starving your rabbit and causing some severe health issues. Just because yours were lucky enough not to get them, doesn't mean others weren't. The diet also isn't very well researched. Unlike the info provided by the arba is. A lot of rabbits do end up dead when their owners chose to use their information instead of something that has years of research behind it to back it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by