1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calling All Silkie Experts.......UPDATE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lora C, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Lora C

Lora C Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Maine
    I know Silkies are about the hardest chickens to determine the sex of before they're mature....but, I thought id give it a try. Here are my three 11-week old silkies. I am leaning toward thinking the two white ones are pullets, and the dark one (not sure what color to call it) is a cockeral. The two whites are very similar in size and shape - most of the time i can't tell them apart, but the little dark one has a much broader chest and sturdier build and not so much fluff on his head.

What's your opinion? thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    The dark one is a "Blue"

As far as sex, It's really hard to tell at this age. I have a hen that I swore was a Roo, until she laid an egg.

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    The body posture of the Blue is telling me rooster. And for the whites, in the last pic, the pullet is on the left, roo on the right. That's what it looks like to me.

4. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    That would be my guess as well! [​IMG]

5. Lora C

Oct 25, 2008
    Maine
    I was really hoping that both whites were Pullets. And I've had a strong feeling my Blue was a Roo, but as a lot of you have stated - wait and see...

6. Lora C

Oct 25, 2008
    Maine
    Once again....you were right. I really couldn't tell the difference between the two white Silkies that we have; they looked the same to me. But you Silkie experts suggested that one looked like a Roo, and you were right. We heard our first crow tonight from one of them. The little blue one started crowing a couple weeks ago, so that means we have 2 Silkie Roos and 1 pullet. Great![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  7. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Silkies start crowing at 11 weeks??

WOW!

Do they make any other noises other than crowing and cheeping?

8. floridamama

floridamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Polk City
    just listen out for them and you will know which for sure is a roo or not. [​IMG] I have 1 silkie who has a large rosebud comb for being a hen but it is for sure a hen saw her lay an egg and hatch out 8 little bittes. [​IMG] Of course She hatched bitties first before we saw her laid the egg. my husband and me thought she was a he come find out we were both wrong. But i would say 2 roos and 1 pullet is what you just might have.

9. Lora C

Oct 25, 2008
    Maine
    We hatched these 3 on August 13, so they just had their 3 month birthday. They are relatively quiet most of the time, but this little white guy must have just found his voice today, cuz when i went to 'tuck them in' tonight he stood right in front of us, stretched out his neck and let out a perfect 'cocka-doodle-doo"

10. natkev

natkev Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Central Coast
    i see one rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by