Calling all Silkie Experts!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lil Peeps, May 2, 2016.

1. Lil Peeps

Lil Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    I had purchased 5 Silkie chickens from TSC, and they are now 5 1/2 weeks old. So far I am able to tell that I have one rooster and one hen. ( Carl and Chai, They are the top two chicks ) they are partridge/buff colored (as far as I know). I am thinking that the first white one, Snowbelle is a girl also. The other two silkies, Zoe and Frosty have single combs so it has been harder to guess at their gender. I know this is really early to tell going by pictures, but I would really appreciate your best guess at genders. I've raised both Silkie hens and roosters before and I'm pretty positive on the top two because of their huge comb differences. I'd appreciate ANY help, and thank you so much in advance!

Carl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chai:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zoe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snowbelle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frosty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of both Frosty and Snowbelle, Frosty is the one on the right.

I am searching for opinions on mainly Zoe and Frosty, but opinions or guesses on any of them would be welcomed and appreciated! [​IMG] Thanks again!

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I think Carl and Frosty are the only cockerels, but I may be wrong. They don't seem to have too much of a "poof" on their head... I may just change my mind about hatchery silkies...

3. Lil Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Yeah, for some reason Frosty keeps getting his head dirty, so that might contribute to the lack of fluff. But no matter how many times I clean him off he goes back and gets it dirty. Thank you so much!

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  4. Lil Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Does anyone else have any guesses as to what gender these may be?

5. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    Zoe looks like a cockerel to me. Mainly just basing it off stance. Im leaning toward cockerel on Frosty but it is so hard to tell with straight combs and being so young. I agree with your other guesses.

6. Lil Peeps

Apr 16, 2016

Thank you SO MUCH! I will try to remember to update this with pics later on and then eventually reveal their for sure genders.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Carl, Zoe and Frosty look like roos to me as well.

LofMc

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

9. Lil Peeps

Apr 16, 2016

Okay, thank you so much! I really appreciate it!! [​IMG] That is kind of what I'm thinking too.

10. Lil Peeps

Apr 16, 2016

Thanks so much drumstick diva!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by