1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calling All Silkie Experts

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lutherpug, Sep 24, 2016.

1. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    I picked up two silkies on Craigslist and have several questions. The lady I bought them from had quite a few anywhere from 1-4 months old. I was too busy checking butts and whatnot to get an age estimate on the two I ended up taking. Can anyone give me an idea on these two? I know they're not the same age, one is clearly larger than the other but I have no idea where they'd fall on the 1-4 month spectrum.

Also, I'm going to attempt to introduce them to my big girl coop with my 3 standard size hens once they're big enough to try and after I've quarantined them for at least 4 weeks. At what age are silkies generally large enough to try to integrate? I understand that integration may not be possible, I'm already planning a "bantam coop" if need be.

Appreciate any help! Thanks!

Chick 1 (the older one, supposed to be splash-looks more blue to me but who knows)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'd say you have a 7-9 week old and 5-7 week old. #1 looks Blue, #2 looks Partridge-ish. Way too young to sex, of course.

I'd strongly recommend keeping them separate from any standard hens. If you can put them in a separate bantam pen, do it. However, if you were to try it, I'd wait until they are fully mature at 18-20 weeks.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Queen Misha. Other breeds tend to pick on silkies(and polish) a lot because they look different and also tend to be docile. I think a bantam coop, etc. would be great for them.

4. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks for the input, they're much younger than I would have guessed! I'm keeping them inside for a month to keep them isolated from my other 3 hens but with the weather changing it may work out for more than one reason. They were both raised by broody hens and were still trying to sleep underneath them at night so I went ahead and fired up the heating plate so they could at least have something dark to crawl under if desired. They're awful sweet, I hope they are hens although I have a place I can re-home them if I have to.

I totally get that I'm probably going to have to have a separate coop for them-I'm going to build a small mobile tractor type coop either way just to get them out of the house after the 4 weeks. My thought was to give the silkies a makeshift run next to the enclosed run on my big girl coop for a few hours a day over the course of a few weeks and see how things look. I'd love it if I could integrate and there is plenty of extra room in my coop but I'm not going to allow them to get tortured either. I've read both success stories as well as horror stories..... My hens are pretty docile so far but they're only 6 months old and I don't know how they'll react to newbies.

Thanks again for the advice and info!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I also agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by