Calling all Silkie Experts!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chalmen, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Chalmen

Chalmen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    Cumberland (near Ottawa)
    Hello all,

A few days ago - I got my first two little babies....two white silkies...about 5 weeks of age (although this is not certain - could be older). One of them is a little bigger than the other and this morning - I could swear was a first attempt at a crow...loud and while flapping the wings. Now, since we were unable to sex them....can I pretty well say this little one is a cockerel?

My other one is quiet and a little smaller.

Ok - now for another question. At what age would a pullet/hen be tempted to sit on eggs. I have the opportunity to acquire a few fertilized eggs...and wondered if my little one might be inclined to sit on them. Should I wait a few months or give it a try? Would rather have the hen do the work - the way nature intended, rather than use an incubator....but just not sure if she is old enough yet.

I'm looking forward to your replies...being a newbie at this - it is always great to learn from others who have the experience!

Thanks in advance!!

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    well they wont go broody until they are mature at least I dont think so and right now you want them eating and growing (not going broody) I found with a lot of my silkies once they start laying they will do so for about 4-5 weeks steady (about 3-4 eggs a week) then I find them one day flat as a pancake in the nest (often with nothing or a few of that mornings eggs underneath them) I remove them and they go on with their day, by the third day they wont budge from their pancake in nest mode and are officially broody. Thats where I decide to try to break it or to set under them.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    At 5 weeks they are still babies. That is really, really early for almost any breed to crow (not impossible--I had a bird crow at 2 weeks!) Asking if the presumed pullet is ready to go broody is the equivalent of "is a 5-year human old ready to be a mother?"

The earliest I ever heard of a silkie going broody was a very pet quality one I had who was 6 months old--and had never laid. Normally don't expect any bird to go broody until it has been laying at least 2 or 3 months. Silkies are usually very slow to develop. My old reply was that I had one who was 13 months before se laid. My newer response is that I have a hen who is about two and a half who is a fairly new layer (a couple of months at most). On the other hand, Daphne looked and acted like a young pullet until he started crowing at about 10 months. Cloud started at 3 months, and is probably my earliest ever crow from a quality silkie.
  4. Chalmen

Chalmen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    Cumberland (near Ottawa)
    Thanks for the replies !

I have a correction to make....I was able to get more info about their age and they would be about 8-9weeks old. So that makes a little more sense re: the crowing. He's definitely crowing all right...and seems that every morning he gets a little more confident and a little louder! LOL Very cute.

Thanks for your insight on the "broodiness".....there is no hurry at all....I just thought I would ask...most sites say 6 months the earliest.....I imagine that would be about the time they may be inclined to "mate" as well.

Thanks all really appreciated!
  5. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    I had a Silkie rooster start crowing at eight weeks old, so that's about right if your two are that age. But definitely too young to expect the pullet to go broody. I have a Golden-laced Wyandotte hen who went broody at six months and hatched some eggs, but that was kind of a shock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by