Calling all silkie experts.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken995, Jun 14, 2011.

1. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Help me out here, what do I have. Two cockerels? One of each? I seriously doubt the black one is a pullet. Much larger than the white one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They wouldn't cooperate and let me get a good still shot, so I took a video too. Click to play.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I think you have two roos.

3. chicken995

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    I was a bit afraid of that. The black made a pitiful attempt at crowing shortly after I made this post so there's the answer there. I'm still holding out hope for the white one. If that one is too I will have 3 roos to 4 hens. No bueno. Anybody out there have any more guesses as to the status of the white one?

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

By far not an expert, but I'd have to guess that they're both roos. [​IMG] Crests are small and swept back, and I can see those little combs sticking out.

5. Mrs. Cannon

Mrs. Cannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Vandalia, IL
    I'd have to say boy also [​IMG]. It will be okay!

6. shadewolfo10

shadewolfo10 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Two Roos! [​IMG] How old are they?

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Your white one is splash, btw. No idea on sex, so I'll keep my mouth shut there. [​IMG]

8. chicken995

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:8 weeks today.

9. chicken995

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    What am I gonna do now? I don't want to get rid of these guys, but that makes three roos to four hens in my flock of seven. I knew I was gambling on the silkies, but my australorp came from the pullet bin. I was totally surprised there.

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Perhaps a few boys will make that decision for you. I bought a Silkie trio from a nice breeder and found out that one of the 'pullets' was really a male. A 2:1 ratio was not going to work. But one of the boys became aggressive fast and he was hurting the poor other boy, so he had to go. Sometimes you just have to wait to see how things have settled out. Or, you can go by the 'rule of thumb' on the forum: get more ladies. [​IMG]

Wait for trouble to start before panicing. They're still young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by