Calling all SL Wyandotte experts~ Sexing help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sweet Violet, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    Ok, so up to now I've only had silkie or LF Cochin chicks, now I have 2 SL Wyandotte chicks that are 2 weeks old. What can I start to look for in signs of sexing them?
    Thanks!

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I am by far not an expert but if you see a lot of wattle and comb development before 9 weeks you have a boy. None of my girls started getting any kind of wattles until around week 15.

3. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Are they hatchery SLWs? If they are, be sure to give them extra growing time before deciding if they are pullets or cockerals. Or at least don't base all your decision on the color of their combs and wattles. Hatchery SLWs can develop red combs and wattles much earlier than higher quality breeder stock SLWs. We have two hatchery SLWs and one of them by 5 weeks had red wattles plus the start of a red comb. By 10 weeks, Beauty was very red in wattles/comb in comparison to our other SLW Sterling. We were worried that she was really a he but from 16 weeks on, her comb and wattles grew very slowly. They are now 24 weeks old and definitely both girls. Sterling actually passed up Beauty and has much bigger comb & wattles. She has also started laying and we are still waiting for Beauty's first egg.

4. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    [​IMG] thanks both of you for responding! They are not hatchery but I will go slow, no rash culling here! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by