Calling all Snowy Mallard owners! (Help?)

nettie

Enslaved by Indoor Ducks
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
Hello friends,

Back in January i ordered new ducklings from Ideal. I got a sexed Snowy mallard that is supposed to be a girl. I also decided to keep an unsexed pekin, which i'm pretty sure is a girl.

Ayways, my snowy mallard i was not worried about since i had it sexed. They are five weeks old now and two weeks ago i thought i almost heard the beginnings of a quack, but the mallard is so small and makes such cute little sounds it's hard to tell. It was def. not a peep, but sounded like a higher pitched version of when a duck's voice changes.

But then little Sammy did not make that noise again. It's back to mostly peppeing with an occasional stressed out yelp included. Her feathering is coming in and it's not looking how i was expecting. She has a black head. It almost looks like male coloring. So i have a few questions:

1.) Do male snowy mallards make any noises except peeping when this old? (5 weeks)
2.) How does the male's voice change?
3.) Do male snowy mallards get their coloring before they molt the first time?
4.) Is there any reason why my snowy has a black head? lol

here's a pic:

S7306191.jpg

S7306188.jpg

Oh and that's not a crest, just the rest of her yellow fluff falling off. She started out all yellow, and even had a little bald spot on her neck, but now has this all black head. any ideas?

Last edited:
I dont have Snowy Mallards but have reg. mallards..Dont know if I can help..My boys are louder than the girls..Neither sounds like quacking its so soft..I found a pic of a male and female......My boys looked like girls for a long time then their heads almost turned green over night..They did molt first

19025_mallardssnowypr.jpg

Last edited:
Five weeks is too soon to sex by voice. And the juvenile plumage of the males and females is identical, so I'm afraid there's nothing to do but wait a little longer
sad.png

Webfoot

sammy seems to make a quack like sound when she gets picked up, but other than that she peeps. hmmm...

I was wondering when the male plumage begins to come in?

Quote:
I've never kept track of how long it took my snowies to get their nuptial plumage, but it SEEMS like forever!

Webfoot

I agree...it takes forever to get their adult plumage. We got two straight run ducks...no idea. We ended up with two males, a mallard and a cross. It was fun trying to deside what we came home with!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom