Calling all soup gurus ...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Pupsnpullets, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I've boned out a turkey carcase and now would like to make stock out of the bones. I understand the slow simmer for hours but that's about it. Any comments appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I like to add some celery, onions and peppercorns to the stock pot with it.

3. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Thanks Katy. I don't have any celery but peppercorns are going in momentarily.

4. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Some of the best stock comes from bones/carcass that has been roasted first in a hot oven. I do this and it gives an added depth of flavor and a beautiful color to the finished stock. I place bones, quartered onion in a roasting dish and roast at 425 for 20-35 mins depending on how dark I want the stock to be.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
  6. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Quote:I'd forgotten about Alton Brown and yes he does have great recipes. I remember his apple pie one from last Thanksgiving and it was delicious!

Jamie, thanks for your tips, as well. I wondered about roasting the bones before boiling them at the time, but, that was uncharted territory for me. Will try it next time. Thanks.

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Toss in a bay leaf or two, and a carrot. I also like to leave the yellow outter skins on the onions when I make stock. It gives it a nice golden color.

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    sorry if I missed this but after finishing off a roasted chicken, I debone the carcass and then put the carcass in the oven until it is a dark rich brown and then I put it in my slow cooker with a whole onion split in half, peelings and all, some celery stalks(leaves have tons of flavor) and what ever herbs I am in the mood for at the time. I do not add any salt while I am making my stock. I do add it whenever I make my soup or whatever from the stock. It slowly cooks for 24 hours, yes, I said 24 hours. I then strain it and put into containers to either freeze or set in the fridge. I learned this from Miss Prissy, and in my opinion...no better cook. [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Don't forget the garlic.

10. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Quote:Good call MP!!! Don't tell my Dad I forgot garlic. Mama mia!!! What kind of Italian am I?!?!?

edited for spelling...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by