1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calling All Southern Hotties!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by texasreb, May 27, 2008.

1. texasreb

texasreb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    What percent of protein do you feed your hens in the heat of summer? I've always fed my a 16% lay pellet, but I've read that hens need more protein in the summer months so I switched to 20%. Is this ok? What do y'all do?

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* That's sure interesting; where did you read that?? I figured just the opposite to be true-- Too hot to process as much food and I switched out corn in favor of oats as several advised from her scratch and only give her lunch on cooler ( under 88) days.

3. texasreb

May 18, 2008
    I read it in a post here. I'll have to go digging to find it, but when I do, I'll post the link.

If it turns out to be detrimental, I'll just save the feed for winter and go get some more. I keep several bags and rotate through, so no biggie.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* How hot are your temps on avg.? And humidity?

5. rebeccakeesee

rebeccakeesee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I live near DFW and were usually on average at 95 through the summer. Humidity can vary on the rainfall.

6. texasreb

May 18, 2008
    I just average 6 months worth of average highs and average relatively humidity for Austin, TX.

The average high temp between the months of April and September is 91 degrees F. The average afternoon relative humidity is 51%.

It can get well into the 100's and often does, but then the humidity drops.

We are in the middle of a heat wave here where the average temp has been around 100 and the humidity around 40%.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The reasoning behind feeding a higher protein in the summer is that the birds will not eat as much in summer heat and therefore, will have to get more nutrition from less feed.

8. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Quote:Makes sense!

9. texasreb

May 18, 2008
    Oh ok, so it's alright to feed the 20%? I can also mix it with some 16 if needed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by