Calling all turkey colour experts.... Blue narangasett?? (Pics)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bemba, Jan 8, 2012.

1. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    I have a poult that is narangasett, but the patterning is different shades of blue? Is this colour recognised, or have I hit the jackpot? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    It sounds like you have a bird that is recessive slate. Apparently the recessive slate gene still exists in Australian flocks but is now gone in the US, or at least it hasn't been reported in a very long time. Kevin Porter of Porters Turkeys (and a member here) is trying to bring them back to the States. Haven't heard if he's been successful. So, to us American turkey breeders, you hit the jackpot! [​IMG]

Upon reading your post again, when you say poult , were you describing a newly hatched bird or one that has feathered out already?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Can you post a picture? How old is it?

4. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    This bird is about 3 months old now..... when it hatched it was yellow with blue spots on the back of the neck and back, I think it's a young hen, was hoping for a gobbler..... I'll put some pics up for you guys.

5. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Here are some pics of the poult, first pic is of the mother. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Poultryboy15

Poultryboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2012
    Texas
    I will have to say its a Blue slate turkey poult not a Blue narangasett

7. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Well sure it's blue, but what about the patterning? I have hatched a few blues, but never any with the patterning like this one, and when the blues hatched they were blue with the wild type pattern, but this one was yellow with blue dots down the back.

8. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    Im confused to me the first pic of the mother looks like a blue slate to me. I have both breeds and here in the states Narangasetts look nothing like that.

9. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Yes the mother is blue, but dad is what I think is narangasett coloured, well not 100% sure but after reaserching they were the clostest colour I could find, here is a pic of the mother of the father of the poult (if that makes sense LOL)
    [​IMG]
    The poult next to her is the father of this poult.

10. Poultryboy15

Poultryboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2012
    Texas
    you sure the dads not a royal palm turkey?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by