calling all turkey experts.....have you heard of this ????

nancymiller

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Western NC
hi there, I read a thread on another poultry site that adding cayenne powder to the water and food that your turkeys consume will prevent / and or treat blackhead as well as coccidiosis (sp wrong ?) . Amazing info, has anyone else ever head/tried this. Mr. Steve, ( from NC)where are you when we have questions, ha.
pop.gif

No real proof out there, so i would say no.. heard copper sulfate will also prevent blackhead.. As far as cocci with cayenne i highly doubt it as well..

Remember it is worms and other insects possibly carrying the parasite that causes and more than likely help spread blackhead, so if it cant kill the worms and or parasites which is one step in preventing it, it wont stop histomoniasis from occurring if its present
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203000.htm&word=histomoniasis

treatment
http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=408

Last edited:
Lots of people say lots of things, doesn't mean it works.. if they ain't got blackhead present in there area of course there gonna say it works, but if you do, i surely wouldn't expect or rely on something from my spice rack

I keep my fish zole handy and copper sulfate on hand, Blackhead is not prevalent here in my area, but with the climate changing many things can happen... best bet find out if black head has or is around in your personal location..
old.gif

Here's a study of the fishzole=Metronidazole=nitroimidazole
ENVIRONMENT AND HEALTH
In Vitro Activity of Therapeutic Drugs against
Histomonas meleagridis (Smith, 1895)
takes a bit to load
http://www.poultryscience.org/ps/paperpdfs/02/p0281122.pdf

Last edited:
tip: cocci is killed by freezing or high environmental temperatures, cocci likes to lurk in damp and dark areas it will sporulate under optimal conditions (70-90°F [21-32°C] with adequate moisture and oxygen)

Blackhead worming treatment::
Wormer's being used should be for use against cecal worms if blackhead is prevalent in your area..wazine/piperazine will not kill ceca worms,,only a few unapproved wormer's will kill the ceca worm..

healthy chickens often carry infected ceca worms, any contact between chickens and turkeys should be avoided. Grouse and quail also may carry the infection to turkey yards. Because H gallinarum ova can survive in soil for many months or years, turkeys should not be put on ground contaminated by chickens. Once established in a flock, infection spreads rapidly without the use of a carrier.

WORMER'S that kill the cecal
valbazen/albendazole gets them all including the tape worm,,my first choice
fenbendazole my 3rd choice
ivermectin, my second choice
levamisole
oxfendazole
wazine/piperazine kills only roundworm

Last edited:
hi there, thanks for the info.....you guys are the BEST ! I happen to have Valbazen on hand but do not know what strength to give it. I would assume that you could put it in the water but there is no way to insure how much each bird would be ingesting and Valbazen given inappropriatly can kill an animal. Any ideas and as usual thanks for the help. NM;)

Back
Top Bottom