Calling all turkeys! (Errr, I mean turkey owners!)

Moonwalker

Songster
12 Years
Jan 9, 2008
Washburn, MO
My 2 little turkeys are starting to lose the feathers on their heads and the skin is turning pink on head and neck. Is this an idication they are both toms? One of them is definately getting thicker under the throat area.
But I STILL don't know what breed they are!
I was thinking they were Naraganssettes, but they don't seem to be developing as much white as I see in the pics. Is anybody familiar with the differences between them and the BBB's? (they have similar looking poults)
103_0782.jpg

103_0783.jpg

this is when they were a few days old
Chicks018.jpg

You get them from a feed store? Those are double breasted Bronze. I do not know how to sex tem either. Losing hte feathers in normal on them though. Hope you are not planning to breed them. Or you are in for a sad surpise. They grow too big to breed naturally.
sad.png

How old and heavy are they? My bb bronze are 3.5 weeks old and weigh on average 1.5 lbs each. If they are single breasted bronze... which if they are feed store chicks, unlikly, I would think they would weigh less than that at 3.5 weeks old.

Here is one of mine with my hand in each pic to show you the astounding growth rate of the birds.

Day 3
snood%20Small%20800.jpg

1.5 weeks
MIA

2.5 weeks

bigger%20Small%20800.jpg

3.5 weeks

what%20do%20i%20see,%203.5%20weeks%20old%20Small%20800.jpg

Couldn't help it: 3.5 weeks

tom%20turkey%20Small%20800.jpg

I love turkeys!
love.gif

SilkieChicken, that picture of the strutting young tom is precious!

Moonwalker, I've only had experiences with BBB and BBWs. None with heritage breeds so I can't really help.

Back
Top Bottom