Calling all you Black Sex Link experts!!! PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by texaschickmom, Mar 21, 2011.

1. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Here are a couple of pics of one of my BSL chicks that hatched last week. This is my first hatch so I have a couple of questions:
    1. I've noticed that the females have black beaks and males have yellow beaks. Have you also found this to be a distinguishing trait between the sexes besides the solid black head of females and white dot of males?
    2. I've included a couple of pics of the same little chick that I'm confused about. Yes, there is a white dot on it's head, but it's kind of on the side whereas all the other males in this hatch, the white dot is right in the middle. Of course, there are various sizes and shapes of dots but they're all centrally located. As you can see this little guy/girl has a small white dot located on the SIDE of its head and its beak is BLACK like the females not yellow like all the other males. Do you think it could be a female? Probably wishful thinking on my part.[​IMG]

Thanks....I'm new at all of this, this is my first hatch and need some expert help!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Is there no one out there who has experience with BSL's? Please....[​IMG]

3. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    I dont have a clue.... sorry. But i am sure someone will come along soon. [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Black sex link females are completly black and the males have a white dot on their head!! That's a male in the pic!!

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ihave had lots of BSLs, my problem is they were all pullets. I would think by the photo that as large as those spots are they are roos. I have never had a pullet with those markings. I did however get one in a batch that had a chocolate head. She was so pretty as an adult.

6. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Thanks for your help! It was just wishful thinking on my part. Out of this hatch I had 10 cockerels and 8 pullets. Not even 50/50! [​IMG]

7. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:That's usually my luck! The name of the game I suppose!! [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Just wondering, what roo did you use? I 'm planning to hatch bsl's next year and considering the options [​IMG]
    edited to add--just saw your sig line, RIR roo. Thanks anyway!

9. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Rhode Island Red X Barred Rock. I believe there are others that can be used also!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by