1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i just got tylan 50 from vet but she nor i know how to dose. she reccomend just squirt some in mouth. its in vial like insulin. i have 30 hens to treat

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    A vet that doesn't know what dosage to use for Tylan? Anyway, Tylan 50 is 1/2 cc under the skin on the back of the neck for 5 days. For birds 5 lbs or more give an additional 1/2 cc in the breast muscle. 30 hens is going to take some time and lots of syringes. Tylan also comes in a soluble powder for flock treatment in water which would have been much easier to administer. I don't remember the dosage for Tylan powder. LS-50 (lincomycin-spectinomycin) is a soluble powder also used for CRD. The dosage for LS-50 is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you're in the US, I think it's illegal for a vet to dispense drugs without instructions. Any vet should be able to give you instructions with this link:
    http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I use the same syringe, but always use a new needle. [​IMG] Can't comment on the dose, I've only used it once.

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    That's fine so long as none of the bird's fluid is drawn into the syringe and good hygiene is practiced (alcohol swabs). Otherwise it could spread disease among a number of birds. I wouldn't inject 30 birds. I'd use a flock treatment in water.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good hygiene is a must. And like you, I wouldn't inject 30 birds either, I'm way too lazy for for that. Heck, it's hard enough to worm 20 peafowl, can't imagine giving shots to 30 for 5 or more days.

-Kathy

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i live in the boonies and she doesnt treat chickens, she was doing me a favor by ordering it for me because its not carried by my stores here. if a chicken gets sick around here they just ring their neck. mine are my babies and if they can swallow it, why cant i just dump it in the water? i dont know if i can treat 30 chickens everyday. catching them is going to be too hard. i am disabled but not so i cant do it but really hard. i have insulin syringes here but i still dont know what a half cc is on the needle

8. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Understood. The vet should have prescribed or informed you better. Injectables aren't going to mix properly in water for absorption. If you were close by, I'd be happy to lend a hand (I'm in Northern California). .50 cc/ml would be 1/2 cc on the syringe. Perhaps a local feed store carries the Tylan or LS-50 soluble powder. I really think that would be best considering the circumstances. It is either that or someone can help you catch birds and inject them. It would have to be every day for the next 5 days for Tylan 50 injections.

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thank u, thats so sweet to offer but IN. pretty far and i got it now. determined enough to git er done! i mean i understand how now.[​IMG]

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    just to update, i couldnt give shots to 30 birds either so i picked the worse and caged them for shots and i continued the mycin food for the rest and day 3 , i see an improvment. thank u all for the help. u saved my flock and my sanity.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by