{{{{{{{{ Calling anyone who has used Ideal!!! }}}}}}}}

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by olp_63, Jul 6, 2008.

1. olp_63

olp_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, so about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks ago we purchased some bantams from Ideal: 2 Sebrights, 3 Mille Fleurs, and 3 Buff Japanese. I know that Ideal does not promise that their chicks are show quality, so we were just going to wait until they grow up to see what we have as far as show birds are concerned. But I'm curious....

Has anyone had any luck with getting show quality birds from Ideal???

We are only using these birds in our county 4-H fair. But we would love to have at least a few decent birds...who wouldn't?

Recent edit: I'm just wondering if there's a chance I'll get lucky....my Pekin duck got 4th place at the fair as a pullet last year and I bought her from a local feed store for a dollar. 4th place is what I would call show quality because she was from the feed store.......maybe it doesn't make sense.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I have never ordered hatchery birds, but my first two chicks came from the feed store.. therefore from a hatchery. But I don't know which one.

If you want SQ birds.... buy from a breeder, for sure! But, you could get lucky [​IMG]

Here's my hatchery Mille Fleur d'Uccle .... no idea if she's SQ (prolly not) but she's beautiful in my eyes! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    No.

The only "hatchery" I know of that might offer show stock is Strombergs, I think? And they are priced accordingly.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My brahmas came from Ideal. Probably 4 of my dark brahmas could be considered show quality. Maybe 1 each of my light and buff brahmas. My favorite hen is definitely not show quality, yet everyone that sees her remarks on her beauty. Doesn't matter to me, as I'm not interested in showing them. I wouldn't trade their good health and sweet personalities for all the fair awards in the world.

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:I have also seen some nice birds come from Cackle.

6. olp_63

olp_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

I really just would like to know what everyone has experienced from Ideal, or anyother online hatchery...thanx to everyone who is posting by the way!

[​IMG]

7. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC

I actually haven't seen any "show quality" birds from any hatchery personally. I know some people like Cackle, though.

I just meant Strombergs is the only one I know of that actually says they are from show stock, etc. I think most of the rest put disclaimers on theirs if I am not mistaken. I know Ideal does for sure (or used to).

8. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass

I actually haven't seen any "show quality" birds from any hatchery personally. I know some people like Cackle, though.

I just meant Strombergs is the only one I know of that actually says they are from show stock, etc. I think most of the rest put disclaimers on theirs if I am not mistaken. I know Ideal does for sure (or used to).

Cackle gets some of theirs from breeders with show stock. Yes, I believe most do put disclaimers on their sites.

9. blurose

blurose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Winston, Oregon
    I ordered from Ideal three years ago last March. I wasn't looking for anything but good healthy but purebred layers. I don't have any roos and didn't want any nor have I ever "shown" a bird. I ordered three of each of the breeds I'm gonna mention, all were ordered as pullets. Of my two Sicilian buttercups, (one turned out to be a roo and I couldn't keep it) one hen has spurs, which I'm thinking negates her showability. The other one would probably be a basic show-quality bird (local fairs maybe). I got 3 Welsummer pullets, only one survived to adulthood and she has spurs (not show quality I'm guessing). Of my 3 rose-comb brown leghorns, only one survived to be a started pullet and she had a heart attack while laying an egg on day. I only had 1 golden-laced wyandott survive, and she would probably be considered show quality if she hadn't nearly been scalped as a pullet (she is scarred now). Of my 3 speckled sussex, one has spurs and therefore isn't show quality, but the other two might be. My three barnvelders are probably show quality because their eggs aren't as dark brown as they should be for a good utility strain of bird (show quality usually sacrafices egg color I'm told). Now, when you want to get into details like comb size and such, I'm actually clueless as to what is desired show quality and what isn't. Everybody that I've mentioned MIGHT be show quality looks otherwise normal to me for the breeds they are supposed to be. My buff orps, which I sold as started pullets, were probably show quality also. However, as a personal disclaimer, with the number of hens I got with spurs I'd guess you probably shouldn't hold your breath about getting any show-quality birds from Ideal. Also, I have lost no birds to predation and those that didn't survive died soon after arriving, within 3-4 days, except the heart-attack victim. I ordered a total of 26 pullets, got 2 roos, sold 3 buff orps and have 13 surviving hens now. You do the math. So, if you want show quality birds, I advise that you look for them at small reputable breeders not a big outfit like Ideal. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  10. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Hens do have spurs and therefore the presence of them does not dismiss them as potentially being SQ. However, "probably show quality" based upon what "looks normal" is not a way of gauging whether or not a bird actually is SQ. Being from a hatchery, it is unlikely that your birds are in fact show quality, unless you plan on showing them in non-sanctioned shows (fairs, etc.). To get an idea as to what to look for in a SQ bird, I'd suggest picking up an APA Standard of Perfection. They will have the info on whats expected of a show bird (type, color, comb, etc.), as well as defects, dqs, and lots of other helpful information. [​IMG]

I do agree that if you are looking for show stock, look up a breeder rather than a hatchery, as it's quite unlikely that you'll get a decent show bird from Ideal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by