Calling AQHA People - Tear This Mare Apart

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, May 9, 2008.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I'm considering this mare on a trade for my Poco Bueno bred mare. (I'll be taking a loss on my mare, but I'm weighing enjoyment over investment)

I pulled her 4 gen last night. She has King 234, Poco Tivio, Lightning Bar and Poco Bueno on the last gen, then Doc Bar. Maternal Gransire is Doc's Hotrodder and paternal grandsire is Poco Leo Dandy. Been owned by the same couple since she was a 2 y/o - purchased directly from the breeder.

MY mare is exceptionally green and hot. This one is supposedly ready to go right out of the pasture and seasoned on the trails. Some soul searching has been done, and I really don't want a project right now. With kids and life, my riding time is so limited that I want to be able tack up and go...

This is the only pic I have right now. What do you guys have to say? So far, I see she has somewhat weak pasterns in the fores...but I like everything else.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. dusti

dusti Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    She has good bloodlines but if you are wanting her just for enjoyment I wouldn't worry about that too much. How old is she? From what I can see in the pic, her eyes are small which normally means they spook easier (I have a mare with small eyes and she spooks over anything and is very head shy). I would be nice to see pictures with the saddle and from all angles and closer and then I could tell you more about what I think. But again, if you are just wanting her for enjoyment then the only opinion that matters is yours. Leo horses tho are normally pretty calm and not hot headed. I love the Leo bloodlines. Just my opinion. And there's alot to be said for a horse that doesn't need worked. I have 2 right now that are projects since they are green.

And the weak pasterns in the front may be due to she wears her heels down and just needs shoes on to keep her heels built up. I also have another mare that does that and we have to keep front shoes on her year round or she limps when her heel gets wore down. Alot of that on this mare may be due to how she's been trimmed.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'm not experienced judging conformation, but she looks like a good example of the QH breed...

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I had thought that her pastern angle might be related to the longish toe...but only a hands on look will confirm/deny that idea...

5. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    It is not the greatest pic to seriously pick apart anything on her. The overall impression I get on her is a good one. From what I can see....I like the neck, shoulder & hip. She may be a bit cow hocked, which IMHO is not something I look twice at unless extreme. As to the pasterns, I agree the toe is rather long and she could use some heel, certainly not something that would turn me off of her. I like her expression, nothings jumps at me saying potential lameness issues, I think she's worth having a look in person.

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Leo horses tho are normally pretty calm and not hot headed. I love the Leo bloodlines. Just my opinion. And there's alot to be said for a horse that doesn't need worked. <End Quote>

In my own opinion Leo bloodlines are very stubborn and bull headed. I had one and sold him we just did not get along. I've been riding for 27 years and that was the only horse that I could not agree with ever. But then other people just adore that bloodline so it's up to you. Mine needed worked daily or he would decide he could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. It's like every time he got a vacation he somehow forgot all his training but that was just one horse.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't see where the breeding really matters unless you want a foal out of her -- it just comes down to the temperament etc of the individual horse.

She looks fine to me except I really worry about those front ankles and pasterns. How old is she? I will admit it is hard to be sure from the pic but her ankles look 'big' and puffy and rounded to me, and her pasterns are longer than one would wish for good long-term soundness, especially combined with being probably a bit butt-high. She also appears to be quite tied-in and light-of-bone below the knee, again not good for soundness in serious work.

What is it you're wanting to do with her? If it's just light trail hacking she should be fine if her ankles pass a close-up inspection and possibly vetting. She does not strike me as the most obvious candidate for long-term soundness under heavier work though.

Good luck,

Pat

8. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I used to think bloodlines did not matter unless I wanted to breed my horses but after reading the legend series it does play alot in temperment, conformation ect. I have a bueno tivio(3x on papers) mare and she is great. Great conformation, beautiful and best of all a really great mind. She is really a paint but has alot of foundation quarter horse blood lines. Your mare has nice eyes and other than the pasterns that seem long, she has a nice headset and I like her stance. Let us see more pics when you get her.

9. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Is the picture of your mare or the are you want to trade for?

I think overall, the pictured horse, looks well put together: nice sloping shoulder, legs appear to be straight and clean, neck length is in good proportion to the rest of her body, the only "negative" thing that stand on to me is that her stifle appears to be really straight/tight giving her a stiff appearance through her hind end and her pastern does seem a bit odd (maybe that's playing into the stifle issue, vice versa). She seems lacking in muscle tone over her topline, which is something effective work can fix, and looks to be a tad down hill (which is typical in most stock horse breeds, especially those that are cow bred). I think she's really cute, but I would like to see pictures of her untacked and rider-less.

Good luck with your trade! I hope everything work out.

10. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Honestly nothing about her jumps out at me as wow. She is very so so, almost boring really.
    If you only want a kick around rider, make sure her tempermetn and is sound. I really dislike weak pasterns, The hoofs are very important.
    Honestly she is a backyard looking mare.

Dilly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by