Calling Duck experts! (dilemma)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chikinzies, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Chikinzies

Chikinzies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2014
    Hi,
    I've got two muscovies that are fairly old and were given to me maybe 6-8 years. They have grown up together a boy and girll. They have never really been picked up and find it alarming.
    They are fine together however i also have a young boy which i have \hand raised which i pick up and is tame. Great duck. However now he is going crazy for the female duck two pens over. And i think its really frustrating him. He would be much calmer by himself but i don't know what to do with the other two... i have grown attached to them.. So i can get my male to settle down will i have to give away the old couple or is there some other magical way?
    very best to you :)

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Can you get more ducks? He is by himself and the others are a pair? I bet he is lonely and it's driving him nuts to not be around the other ducks.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree a couple of girls is what he needs and he'll still love you too. in the meantime while your looking put a board of something between them so he can't see the pair.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  4. Chikinzies

Jul 12, 2014
    Thanks for the replies guys :)

Yes i have got some corrugated iron but its only about 70cms high and he peeps over. Ive noticed since he has come into his drake-hood also that the last week or so when i go to pat him he wants to nibble what ever he can get a hold of and sometimes he can even get a bit rough and hold on to a bit of skin (like elbow) however he never goes near my face or anything. Not sure if hes starting to attack me from being in flight or fight mode all the time or he's just playing rough...he can easily be lulled into being sort of relaxed if i hold and pet him for a while.. it seems like playing be
    cause he doesn't dip his head then run in like when my other drake attacked him (very briefly) once.

Its not feasible for me to get another duck for him. So i guess i just have to give away the old couple? or i might have a cranky drake on my hands which would be unfortunate because i hand raised him..

this is he (mj) below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  5. poult

poult Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Cabin In The Woods
    He just sounds very lonely and wants some girlfriends there isn't anyway you can allow any more ducks?

6. Chikinzies

Jul 12, 2014
    not really. Also i forgot to mention since he was young he has been talking to his mirror which seems to keep him happy. I did noticed him getting lonely a few times when there was no mirror. But he will sit inside his hutch chatting away to his reflection all day. He does not know it is himself. I put a red sticker on his lower beak for a week to see if he would notice it and pull it off but he didnt so i guess he thinks the reflection is his friend.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  7. poult

Dec 15, 2014
    Cabin In The Woods
    Oh my gosh that is funny & really sad!

8. Chikinzies

Jul 12, 2014
    haha yeh. Well at least he is happy.. kinda. I'm gonna try to get a duck for him i think. That way they can both look in the mirror and there will be all four. Party time! haha

9. poult

Dec 15, 2014
    Cabin In The Woods
    Hope it works out! :fl

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's a good idea. I have a mirror in my one duck house and they love to look at themselves. I actually hung it for my goose but after we built their house i just left it in the duck house. He sure is one handsome drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by