calling every body that has knowlage of HAMBURGS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aquagolda, Aug 18, 2013.

1. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have a chicken that's 3 months old and is a Hamburg I and not a new person with chickens I have a flock of 5 that's 6 years old and a flock of 9 that's 4 months old then 3 small chickens that are 3 months old and I have never kept this type of breed so im only new to the breed I show my chickens and use them for eggs so I wasn't sure what gender my chicken is because the chicken I named it caramel so any way caramel has some green in his black and brown coloring and I know a black Australorp (I have this breed) has green kind of coloring in it but its in females and males but roosters have that too and Hamburg's have a big tail but I don't know because roosters have big tails also this chicken I have also has green in its tail which roosters have and a big tail which I know the breed is but im still deciding whether its a male or female so I need some opinions

2. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you post pics ?

3. aquagolda

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    of coarse I can

4. aquagolda

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. OneCrazyCowgirl

Quote:So far looks like a hen. Roosters have broad looong tails. They aren't green like others but its long and showy. They also have a pretty large comb. Not that of a leghorn or andalusian but definatly noticable.

6. aquagolda

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    well I think its still pretty young and when it stands it looks like a rooster I can get some more pics, I had to snap those pics pretty quick because my camera was dying

7. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Ha, you found the comma!
    Was going to make a punctuation joke... ;)

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet to me. [​IMG]

9. OneCrazyCowgirl

Ok cool. But as you see from australorps, green can occur in hens such as the golden spangled hamburg and some other black breeds.

10. aquagolda

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    yes I know that but I know naturally it will show in black australorps I know that because I have kept them longer and have more knowlge but I have never kept a hamburg before and I don't know anything so that's why im asking

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by