Calling Female Bobwhite

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cva34, Apr 23, 2012.

1. cva34

cva34 Songster

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Recently had to seperate some BW. There about to kill one male .So I have 1 male and 3 Fem in each cage. One of the fem at times starts calling the male puffs up and runs and pecks her(ruff). Do you think shes calling that other male (maybe they had bonded) and this male is trying to convert her(to him) It an observation I see every day and am just trying to understand..I'm thinking about catching her and put her with the other male and see if that makes her happy..cva34

2. jbobs

jbobs Songster

could very well be. i don't know if he is trying to convert her so much as just getting sick of her noise. If he's trying to win her over you'd think he would be being extra nice LOL I have chickens that do this at home - there's always one that gets her head pecked by the others when she walks by, even by the rooster. It might settle down in a few days but your could try her with the others and see if she does better...

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have never had any luck with keeping anything but one male and one female together in one cage. Even the females can be brutal with each other. Bobwhites mate for life. So no doubt, your pair wants back together. Keep an eye out for fighting if you keep more than one female with one male.

4. cva34

cva34 Songster

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    How big are your cages I can go that route easy???. Do you pick there mate or let them them ??... Thanks 2c and jb I need to cut down on BW numbers anyway ...cva34

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I use those extra large dog crates. They are about 2 wide, 4 feet long. Something like that. I have never measured them. I have them all lined up in the aviary with the pairs in them. The bobs that do get along are allowed to roam free in the aviary. I have about 9 of these cages in 2 different aviaries. Here is the only pic I think I have of a couple of them. The hardware cloth on the front on the cage in the foreground stops the caged quail from biting that lone female that constantly hangs around the front. She can get scalped from outside of their cages!!! LOL

[​IMG]

I flip the top of the cages open and turn the thing over so they have contact with the ground instead of the plastic bottom that comes with the cage.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  6. mossypath

mossypath Chirping

Jan 14, 2012
    ohio
    Twocrows
    Nice Ideal,
    3 cages in the shed not being used right now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: