1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calling: lilpeeps and other silkie experts.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Easter_pink_silkies, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Easter_pink_silkies

Easter_pink_silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    i have just been informed by lilpeeps (who's inbox is permitly full!) that my newest little pullet may be a cockrel. the poor dear already has a deformed beak! and when they "breeder" gave the bird to me i thought its large comb and wattles were caused by her being a crossbred or somthing (thats NOT a normal silkie comb) but now everyone says shes a he! HELP! i thought i was pretty silkie smart but after seeing ITS picture alot of people have told me otherwise: WHAT IS IT!?!? please say pullet;i cant keep anymore Roo's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    LilPeeps, I tried PMing you, but your inbox is full. [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Thats a rooster.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    That does look like a roo to me, too. All the silkies i raised from eggs were pretty clear cut early on - big feet, large wattles and gnarly combs. Then the crowing and attempted mating were a dead giveaway. But in March i adopted a bantam group that included two silkies. One looked very similar to your silkie, and eventually showed himself to be a roo. But even at almost 5 months had not developed many of the tell-tale signs. He made pathetic attempts at crowing on rare occasions. Never attempted mating. i did rehome him recently, just to avoid future problems. But he looked like, and had a stance, almost identical to yours. i'm sorry, but you know, we may all be wrong. i would give him/her some time to see how he/she progresses and fits into your existing flock.

5. Easter_pink_silkies

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    so obviously this is just as confusing as i percieved it to be? i knew i wasent chicken dumb [​IMG] im trying to go by every clue i can, its voice, its snuggling up to my Roo, the way itll hop onto the back porch -step by step- when it starts to get dark, as if to say" ma its bedtime!" and then run from me when i bend down to pick it up [​IMG] i just really want to belive its a hen, plus i had a polish/silkie mix hen with a comb idenitcal to that.but it sounds like you really know what your talking about airheart :|

6. Easter_pink_silkies

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Quote:its been full; ive been trying to track them down as well.

7. Easter_pink_silkies

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Quote:Are you sure?[​IMG] look at its tail in the first two pictures.....

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Are you sure?[​IMG] look at its tail in the first two pictures.....

Yup. The tail is like a roosters tail.

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    First of all, you didn't say how old the bird was. It could be 6 months old (still a pullet) and about ready to lay.
    It kind of looks to be a girl but it really depends on age. If its less than 5 months old then yeah, its a boy but I am betting on girl and yes, its crossbred.

10. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    That is a Silkie X pullet at point of Laying. She should make a nice broody hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by