Calling Mandie owners. What could this be? Mandie troubles!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensioux, Jan 28, 2010.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

My mandies are living in my bathroom. The female has had a "cough" for about a month. After deworming and a round of antibiotics I took her to the vet. All he could find wrong was coccidia. She is now on a round of meds for that. And I am treating all the ducks outside as well. Here's the questions I have:
    When the female mandie is outside, she coughs. When I bring her in the house she stops. Could she have allergies outside?
    Is this a mandarin behavior?
    Not sure if cough is the right word either but it's the closest description I can come up with.
    There are 2 pigeons in the enclosure with the mandies, could they have something to do with it? They are new to the enclosure.
    It's driving me nuts trying to figure this out.
    Any mandie owners experience this or something similar?

Otherwise, she is perfectly normal. No discharges. Eating, pooping, swimming, breeding all normal.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    When she coughs does she more like sneeze. My female does the same thing if thats what yours does. She sneezes and makes a real high pitch squeak. Thats awesome that the mandies are in your tub ahha

3. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Yes, it's a high pitched squeeky, coughy, sneezy thingy.

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Yeah mine does that every once and a while...I never thought anything of it. She doesnt seem to have any problems at all.

5. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If mine was every once in a while, I probably wouldn't worry. But she does is almost continuously. Especially in the morning. I have researched pine shavings, straw, etc. All seem appropriate bedding. But even later in the afternoon, she is still doing it just not as much as in the morning.

6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Oh I love that pic of your Mandies in the bathroom. I have to show it to my 8 year old grandson when he gets back from Nashville! He'll love it!!

Laurie

7. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Sometimes my ducks do that high pitched squeaky thing it happens when they get some dirt up their nose or something could she have something in her nasal passage??? ( they alsways clear their out with water so i would think the bath would help..

8. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    But this is almost constant. The vet checked her nostrils and throat. I mean, worrisome, constant.

9. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    well that sucks for your poor irl have the meds decreased the wheezing at all??

10. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it cold where you are? Chickens and ducks will do that when cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by