1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calling Miss Jayne *Graphic Photo* Crested Duck Genetics Awesome Info!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BirdBoy88, May 14, 2009.

1. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

Oh Miss Jayne one of your duck eggs hatched a few mins ago and the baby is so beautiful ...a golden yellow with black

but it's Brain is out [​IMG]

it didn't grow INSIDE the head it grew out side the head ..... the duckling is fine but i know it can't live like that .... i don't want to cull [​IMG]

and the other duck egg the duckling died in the egg [​IMG]

your Turkey egg is fine.... that little guy just started zipping

but i was really well me and my dad both were really looking forward to your duckies [​IMG] .. it''s the mail lady fault .. it looked like she played football with the box and both duck eggs have very overly large air cells

what should i do with the duckling with the Brain out?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I dont know if you want to consider this Mark but you can keep her alive, someone on here told me they had a roo picked hen who her brain was out and she had some skin/skull eventually grow over the head some and the bird lived a full life. So it is posisble but with it being a baby and a duck that's a hard one [​IMG] I am So sorry you have to deal with that esp with a sweet callduck! I dealt with that with a quail chcik but it died on it's own [​IMG]

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    oh my gosh! i am not sure either what to do.

a friend of mine had a chick hatch like that here ( i did a couple dozen at a time for him) and i put it down simply because i wasn't sure the others wouldn't pick at it and just the infection factor.

oh poor little ducks!

c'mon turkey! get out of there!

4. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    MARK THAT LOOKS PRETTY BAD.
    You can take all the advice you want from who ever, but if that was me I would cull it. But same here I could do that.

I don't see the poor thing living like that. from the photo it looks pretty serious. Have you got anyone who can do it for you. I know its so hard culling your own baby, but think what is right for it.

Make your own judgement, do you see (from the obvious defect) it surviving.

Good luck with the decision and what ever one you take God will be with you all the way.

God Bless,

Samuel

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Sorry about your duckling, Mark. Is there a crested gene in these ducks? Head deformities such as this one have been known to occur in ducks with the crested gene. The same thing happened to a duckling in my class this past semester, and the created gene was present.

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If you dont want to cull, then you need to get rid of your flock entirely. Sorry, but thats the facts jack. Culling is a necessary evil of poultry/bird owing, and sometimes that does in fact mean putting a bird down, and this is a prime example. It shouldn't even be up for discussion...

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Is there skin covering the brain or is the brain actually completely out? If it doesn't have any covering then it needs to be culled...sorry. If it's covered by skin then you could try to give it a chance...just make sure the others don't attack it.

8. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Thanks everyone for your input

the duckling will be culled i will get my dad to do it.

[​IMG]

9. Mark honey, this happened in my very first hatch remember? With Abby's siblings?

It's the crested gene. Miss Jayne, do you have any crested ducks?

When crested ducklings develop something like 25% will die in the shell or be born with brain exposed. I had 4 hatch like that, alive, and had to cull them all.

Let me see if I can dig up my old thread with the info I found on crested genes...

Last edited: May 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by