Calling Mother Goose!!! What sex are these Welsummers???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jeaucamom, Feb 12, 2008.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Theory one says you can sex them at day olds by the stripe on their head and chocolate color on the back. If that is true than 1 and 2 are girls and 3 is a maybe.

Theory two, according to Mother goose, she can tell by their combs at week olds. These little ones were hatched 1/31. But there is virtually no difference in comb. That means they are either all boys or all girls. All girls are great, all boys and I will cry myself to sleep tonight!!

So which are they???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, Suz, Im not Christie, but can I guess?? I'm going to be incubating this breed in April and want to see if I have this right. Here goes...

Girl
    Girl
    Boy, maybe
    Boy
    Boy, probably, but can't see the top of the head that well. Is the widow's peak very crisp and distinct or blurry?

How'd I do, Christie? Maybe this will put to rest the rumor that I am the Queen of Chick Sexing, LOL.

3. jeaucamom

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    That last one is Hoss, as in Cartright! LOL He is one HUGE chick and already doing the kick boxing thing. He was the very first one to hatch, the one in the pink bunny we called Peek a boo. He just kept growing and growing. He does have somewhat of a defined V but his coloring is not chocolate at all. And actually his V has become more devined as he gets older. Well, I hope there are at least two girls in here. That third on sure has us stumped. The V is half and half and his coloring is right between the two also.

4. speckledhen

Cant wait to hear what our Welsummer experts have to say then, Suz! [​IMG]

5. jeaucamom

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    bump [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I'm no expert but looks like the first two are girls and the rest of them are boys. I guess we have to wait on Mothergoose!

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Being the expert I am (now THAT'S a good one, since I don't hatch chicks!), I agree with Ewesheep. I'm VERY curious to see what Christie has to say, since I'm on her list for a batch of Welsummer eggs for my good friend Heidi to hatch for me!!

8. speckledhen

So, that's three for three, Suz. We need Christie to tell us we're all wrong or all right then.

9. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Can I please guess too? I'm on MotherGoose's waiting list for Welsummer eggs.

girl
    girl
    boy
    boy
    boy

10. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Girl
    Girl
    Girl
    Boy
    Not sure can't see top that well but will say girl.

Buck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by