Calling on all silkie expert's

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by little brown hen, Dec 18, 2009.

1. little brown hen

little brown hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    I just got home and my pen of silkie's I seen my pure white silkie rooster just covered with blood so now he looks pink I ran into the pen and picked him up and put him into a little cage on the porch. They all grew up together they all are about 7mo old I know there are quite a few rooster's, but why draw blood? I gave him a bath, but could not find anything serious. After he dries should I put him back or another pen? Thank's to all.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    The thing with roosters, when they are young they may all get along, with just a bit of play fighting. Then one day their hormones kick in and the fighting can turn deadly. i watched it in my pen of silkie and showgirls this summer. i had 6 pullets and 11 little roos. One by one as they started getting mean, i had to pull the roos out. i watched my largest showgirl roo suddenly turn on other roos, hopping on top and mercilessly flogging them. Luckily i was there to pull them out. Had i not been there for those events, i'm sure there would have been bloodshed or even death.

At seven months you are pushing the envelope keeping roos together. There are the rare occasions when you get docile roos that get along. But in general, you will have to separate them all out and then pick the one you want to keep.

3. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I don't know how cold it is there but he will have to be compeletly dry. I ususally wash birds in the evening and even after blow drying them they stay in the house over night. Just a word of advice. If you think the other Roo's are the reason he is bloody then you might need to move him out. I have never had that many silkies but my one little silkie roo thinks he is as big as the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by