Calling on Dog Experts - Guess the breed [IMG HEAVY]

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Equest94, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    We adopted Sabina from a local SPCA shelter this past August (after the death our other dog). She is a 2yro German Shepherd mix. She underwent a brutal life before her ex-owner was arrested and she, along with many other dogs, were confiscated by the animal precinct. Her adoption papers say she's GSD/Labrador Retriever, but I'm not too sure. She's extremely friendly despite all she went through...sure she has minor quirks that we are trying to improve/fix but over all she is proving to be a great dog. I know there's a blood test out there for mix breed dogs that using DNA analysis to determine what breeds your mix is made up, but it is still pretty new and there are still a variety of breeds that it cannot determine yet. Although I am interested in getting the test, I'm wondering what some "dog people" think she is.

Some of Sabina's Characteristics:
    - about 50lbs
    - Short thin coat
    - long thin tail
    - small "dome" shaped head (not very wide... eyes are well set in her head, not very far apart)
    - longer narrower muzzle
    - top (fur) coat seems water resistant
    - webbed toes
    - very leggy (long legs for a smaller dog)
    - extremely hyper/active
    - loves playing in our pond, loves going to see the horses, loves playing fetch, herds the chickens back into the coup for us
    - very alert and attentive... gets suspicious of strangers but then becomes overly friendly.

PICTURES (nothing is really too recent though):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^^^ she brings her ball to the chickens hoping they'll ply with her...she's surprisingly VERY well behaved with them (although I will still never leave them alone with her unattended)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^^^ she's not really as pudgy and wide as she looks in this pic. This is from about 2 weeks after we got her, and she was very thin and malnourished. (She looks so much better now)
    [​IMG]
    ^^^ Ugly SPCA profile pic.

I am pretty sure she is at least half GSD... the other part I am not sure of. Although I can see some lab features in her face (obviously not her ears, lol), I don't think she is. I would have figures that a GSD/Lab mix would have a thicker tail and a bit more fur. Plus, she's not a huge dog. Someone told me that they see pit bull in her, but I highly doubt it.

Although I love pits, Sabina doesn't seem to have the "pit characteristics" that I found to be strong in pure pits and pit mixes. She doesn't have a large jowl, her chest and neck aren't as buff, and her head isn't as wide. She doesn't have the same over all muscling at a bit does. A friend of mine breeds and shows Staffordshire Pit bull terriers and she says that she doesn't see any pit in her (acutally look and overall temperament/attitude). She said that her smaller size plus her pointy ears throw off her overall look, but her being an expert in the breed bets she doesn't have any APBT or SPBT in her; at least not enough that would count. Plus her water resistant coat and webbed toes just makes me and her lean more towards a hunting/sporting dog cross.

I was thinking she has Black Mouth Cur in her. She has the same body build, tail, and face shape. They also have webbed toes, being a hound; however, they are common in the South and I live in NY... I haven't seen any Curs or other "uncommon" breeds in my area. Plus, from experienced, all hounds and hound mixes would bey/howl... Sabina as a definite deep bark.

I don't really care what she turns out to be. She's a wonderful dogs and I am very happy with her, but I'm just curious.

What do you think?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    She to me looks like a GSD/Pitt bull mix.

She sure is a cutie!! Congrats on your new addition!!

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I second the GSD/Pitt mix

4. Happyhenz

Happyhenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    Canberra Australia
    GSD x staffy.
    [​IMG]
    what a lovely girl.
    She certainlly has landed on her feet.

5. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    I'd say GSD and Boxer

6. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Oh what a sweet dog! And I am so glad to see someone willing to adopt a mutt. [​IMG] I wish I could find such a good dog. I have no idea what other breed she may be, but I agree that it is not lab. It really looks like a Shephard with short hair. Those big ears are a Shephard giveaway. *haha* Looking at her face straight on she almost looks like she has some Pit in her. That is just my guess.

What kinds of chickens are those? They are beautiful!

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't see Lab but I do see the characteristics of the various "bully breeds". Pits, which are actually Staffords, are exceptionally good dogs when raised right and are used as "detector" dogs for those with seizure problems. She has the wide face and in the 4th picture down the sides of her face and jaws show the terrier breeding. In the last picture where she is holding the stick you can see the build of her lower jaw and how it widens out in the back. If she does have the Bully background you got a very good dog and one who will take excellent care of you and your family.
    I'm so happy she found you!
    Kate

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Look up a pic of a Malinois online...... [​IMG] Looks very similar to ME!

9. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I took too long to post, everyone beat me to it. [​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I know nothing about dogs but I swear shes got some pit in her, maybe 1/4. To me, its the eye forehead area, and chest area that says pit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by