Calling on Older & Wiser BYCer's

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I'vegotchickenfever, Apr 10, 2009.

1. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    We are in possesion of an ANCIENT bator. Anyone ever heard of a Sears & Roebuck 1/60 incubator? Hubby just brought one home from the country. Compared to the little styrofoam LG we've been borrowing - this thing is big!!! It's a round metal bator, probably almost 3 feet across and has only 1 shelf. Instead of a window, it has a 2 inch "peep" hole. We're gonna clean it up and fire it up, but would love ANY info if anyone has ever heard of it. I've already googled it - NOTHING!!! Thanks in advance.

(My hubby's almost 50 and his grandparents used to use it) [​IMG]

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    call:
    Sunny Creek Farms
    15378 160th St. SW
    Red Lake Falls, MN

218-253-2291
    218-253-2211

Tell Don, Paula sent you, he can tell you about your 'bator if anyone can. great guy to talk to a wealth of info. also has parts for most bators and instruction books.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    um.... does it look anything like thiS?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. I'vegotchickenfever

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you so very much!!! I KNEW you BYCer's would have an answer!!

Ok, Paula, we're gonna hafta call him next week - I'm soooo excited. [​IMG]

um.... does it look anything like thiS?

ummmm...I was wondering, have you been in my shed? Soooo, does yours still work?​

5. chickenman33

chickenman33 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    Is that, 40 years old? it looks like a time machine genarator from 70's movies. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I took it out after 30 years in retirement and put a new plug on it (didn't even change the wafer) and am using it for my second season. It was already old 30 years ago. My husband is 60 and he remembers his mom using it when he was a kid. He said they just put a tray with water in it for humidity, so I just experimented. I have a soup cup I use for incubating and a microwave dish I use for Hatching. Keep your water container with straight sides and deep enough to keep baby chicks out, and the humidity will stay pretty even for several days without having to add water. I did add a computer fan, and two cabinet handles to lift the lid cuz that sucker is heavy! Temp is very consistent. Auto turner won't fit, but without it it hold a lot more eggs.

7. I'vegotchickenfever

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    After seeing that photo, does anyone think it would still work? Or is that just wishful thinking? [​IMG]

Guess we were typing at the same time - you're saying it could still work! WOO HOO for us!!!

I may PM you next week or so, if you don't mind!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    those old one got more life in them than the new one's, replace the waffer, plug it in and see what happens. [​IMG]
    and hope the braker doesn't pop [​IMG]

9. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The funny thing is that the wafer/thermostat is the same one they are still using in the models today. And I looked at the heating element, and it could be easily replaced too. Not too much that could go wrong.

10. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by