1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calling out Pros and Innovators for ideas on tractor...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cnysabo, Mar 31, 2011.

1. cnysabo

cnysabo New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    I have some questions about my chicken tractor that I am in the midst of building. I spend probably twice as long as most others standing there trying to figure out how to build a perfect problem free coop, and then 4 times longer trying to figure out now how to do it with what is lying around... we have never had chickens, and we are starting with a few basic pullets. I do have some questions that I haven't found in the BYC search engine (though I imagine they have all been asked). First let me describe the coop and then please let me know if my goals are unrealistic or not...

Coop Description: (already framed in at this point)
    4'Wx10'Lx2'H run. 4'x4' wide coop on top of run with a pitched roof of 3' in the back rising up to 4' in the front.
    2 nesting boxes added on to the back.

Random Questions:
    1. With hardware cloth in the windows for ventilation, how do I keep rain from getting inside them? Maybe with a hinged shutter that opens to the top of the window?
    2. Someone gave me some corrugated plastic that is light, but feels a bit flimsy; do predators ever rip the roof off coops? The back of the roof is 4 1/2' off the ground.
    3. By installing drinking nipples in PVC inside the coop, will they leak when the coop is tipped a little to move it to the next spot? (I need a spill proof water and feeder design when moving coop)

Here are some of the things I am trying to keep in mind.
    Objectives:
    Portable chicken coop (we rent so we don't want to permanently build something)
    Light but sturdy
    basic necessities inside coop (auto water and food) with water in the run too. (will add on removable room for overwintering birds)
    predator proof (we live out in the country and we have them all)
    Auto feeder, water, and someday door opener. (I have seen some different ideas that I think I could utilize that would be streamline inside)
    Able to leave chickens alone for a day or two if we go somewhere.

Thanks for any help.

2. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    1. With hardware cloth in the windows for ventilation, how do I keep rain from getting inside them? Maybe with a hinged shutter that opens to the top of the window?

1. Overhang and a window or shutter you can close if it gets really nasty.
    2. Someone gave me some corrugated plastic that is light, but feels a bit flimsy; do predators ever rip the roof off coops? The back of the roof is 4 1/2' off the ground.

2. No. Because when installed correctly with braces at the seams and across the middle it is very solid.
    3. By installing drinking nipples in PVC inside the coop, will they leak when the coop is tipped a little to move it to the next spot? (I need a spill proof water and feeder design when moving coop)

3. No. The nipple are very forgiving. you may get a drop or two, but nothing to worry about.​

3. cnysabo

cnysabo New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks so much for the response. I will heed your advice.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    There's a large overhang on the roof of our big coop that keeps rain out, like how houses are designed.

Our tractor has a panel of some type of lightweight corrugated roofing on top of the run portion. I decided to cover the roof with hardware cloth and then put the panel on top of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by